Too many Questions,

Matthews

Too many Questions,

RSLogix 5000, this is correct AB software name?
I'm looking at cable data; seems they have cable pre-made for given CompactLogix modules?

Do you know if CTC Parker Hannifin HMI interfaces with RSLogix?
Have you used "Sick" switches as inputs? Do you use the Solid State or Reed?
Wiring? Where can I get some "How to" data: diagrams & the like?

Last edited:
A little overwhelming is it?

You must be just getting started in this wonderful field of PLC systems. Do not let the enormity of it all get you down. Slow down, take a deep breath and remember how you eat an elephant. One bite at a time. Now, ask as many questions as you need to but one at a time is a good idea, or several if there is some thought behind them and not just a shotgun approach. Many of us here have felt the same frustrations as you and can help you through this.
Do you know if CTC Parker Hannifin HMI interfaces with RSLogix?
as long as it uses one of the standard comms protocols it should work ok with RSLinx. RSLogix software is just for programming the AB PLCs, not for communicating with HMIs. That is the RSLinx job.
Have you used "Sick" switches as inputs? Do you use the Solid State or Reed?
No, I have not used a "Sick" switch, although a few I have used over the years were a little ill. But seriously, if the application demands the use of a particular type of switching device, there is probably an input module that will handle it. Just match the specs of the circuit the switch is in with the module. ie: DC circuit, use DC input module, etc.
Yes, there will certainly be some and you must use all the applicable laws and local codes to install it.
Where can I get some "How to" data: diagrams & the like?
Wouldn't we all like to know that. I have wished in the past for a place to go and get what I needed instead of coming up with it from scratch myself. Alas, there is are not many of those places around and the few that are most likely not going to be about your particular application. Darn the luck.
Hopefully some of my tongue-in-cheek humor will get you to thinking that we are in the same boat as you, or have been or will be. Hang in there, this work really beats working at a fast food joint. No challenge in asking: "is that to go?"

Matthews:
It would be easy if you started your high-speed questions with simple description - it is really hard to find out what you are asking.

Looks like your project has:
- CompactLogix PLC
- CTC HMI screen
- Some SICK switches

Right? Now is your turn to give us some details.

Speaking of CTC HMI: we used it about 8 years ago and that time it had a lot of different comm options, including A-B.

You bet

We have several CTC HMI's communicating via DH+ to PLC/5 processors. You can get just about every communication I/O module imagineable for the CTC's. The software for the CTC's, "Interact" and the newer "InteractX" are pretty intuitive.....but like anything else, will involve your nose in the books and tech. notes. If you get stuck along the way, come back!

Good luck!

Greg

Thank You all for the info.
I was out for the Holiday til 010405.
And since then a little stretched out with a variety of tasks.
I've noted your replies and will put them to use.
My mind before PLC's didn't run like one, scanning outputs & inputs at the same time while the program isn't functioning at all.
HA HA.
But I have great hope because the Lord has supplied me wealth to get the job done thru your generous help.
Hopefully I will be able at some point to return the gracious favor.
I'll try to be more direct with my questions.

Thank you again!

Oh yeah, Got the Book.