Ti 545 to a Marquee

ilikbeer

We are currently doing an update to 2 machines in our facility and because of the nature of the enviroment, explosionproof/intrinsically safe, we would like to install a couple marquees out of those zones for operator information.

My question will probably be simple to you but I have not been able to find an answer. :confused:

Is there a way that I can output messages from an 545-1101 via the RS422 port to a unit such as the Vorne M1000?
http://www.vorne.com/led-displays-m1000.htm
Upgrading to a higher processor is also an option if needed or even a different brand of marquee. I have noticed the Vorne name on topics here before and thought maybe I would try them, and we love the TI545/555 PLCs so that stays.

We have a DL50 Marquee currently in another section of the plant but they way it was originally programmed takes up alot of variable memory
for only a few messages. Also there is an CTI interface card used.

Any suggestions on which manuals I need to read, I think I have them all, but I cannot locate what I'm looking for, banghead would be greatly appreciated.

Again, Thanks for the sharing your knowledge so freely, and Happy Holidays!

Never used the Vorne unit before. Can it use ASCII input via a serial connection? If it can, then just use the PRINT function from within a SFPGM. I use this method to pass values to Durant meters all the time.

You can use IF THEN ELSE logic, and have all your messages within one SFPGM. Just jump to the right message based on the value of a varible.

Thank you, Mr. Moore.

Yes sir, it does say that the Vorne displays use ASCII:
Standard Features
Super bright, red AlGaAs LEDs
Interfaces to almost any serial output device
Integrated RS-232 to RS-422 converter
Convenient ASCII based protocol
Multi-drop capable with 99 discrete addresses
User selectable optically isolated I/O ports
Seven baud rates ranging from 300 to 19.2k
Font sizes ranging from 2” to 4.5”
Viewing distances of 150’ and beyond

I have never used their product before either, but I have seen them refered to on this site, so we will hopefully try them out. I still have a looooooooooong way to go before we submit our bid for the project, but I am axiously waiting to try this out.

From reading some of "elevmike's" post, it appears he is discovering the joys of Hazardous locations also. We are moving into Class I, Division I, Group B for a new coating application.

Thanks again! :site:

I have used a bunch of the Vorne displays, they offer alot of options with configuration.

I used one type on printing presses to show run speed and downtime, a PC could be attached to record it if wanted, no PLC involved.

I have used others on production lines to record product, time etc.

They do ASCII so just about any intelligent controller with a serial port can be used with them. The M1000 manual gets into detail on hardware configuration with one or multiple displays, use of RS232, RS422 or RS485, addressing etc. http://www.vorne.com/pdf/m1000.pdf

Ken knows the TI505 so his info is probably correct on sending the ASCII to the display. You will be surprised how easy they are to work with.

It's hard to beat a 505 when it comes to process control. I started out on the 565's and then migrated to the AB PLC-5 line. What a shock! Almost everything in AB is much more difficult.

Thanks again.

I got the manual out as soon as I read Mr. Moore's reply about printing. I have never done anything like that before, but with the knowledge I get from this site, I am learning.

Mr. rsdoran:
I love the TI family. A while back I installed a complete conveyance system and wanted it to be very current, so we went with the SLC5/05.
That was a waste! Way over-kill on the PLC and outrageous on the price, but live and learn. My boses are happy, only because they don't have a clue, I mean, less of a clue than I.

I hope our price for this project, comes in low enough that we can purchase some other goodies also, but we shall see. As soon as you mention explosion-proof/intrinsically safe they triple the price plus.

I have a ton of the manuals here, it's just my inexperience as to know which question i should ask, thus not knowing where to look for the answer.

Someday I would like to meet all of the great minds at this site and buy them a beer. 🍺
But since your not here and I am, I will drink it for you in about 90 minutes. beerchug

Need some help again

I recieved a Vorne M1000 unit and am having trouble getting it to display.
I have talked to their tech support and unfortunately no one is familiar with the TI family.

I can not get the the statement out of the PLC.
This is what I have done.

One line of code. C1 to activate the SFPGM01.
In SFPGM01 I have:
(Statement#)
00001 PRINT.........:2 MESSAGE.........:
"HELP
"
**** END ****
The reason the double qutoes are on the second line is to send a carriage return statement that Vorne's tech support said was needed. I have tried several different ways around this to get the message out.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

It looks like this should be easy but I'm spinning my wheels.

Ain't that 505 just as sweet as sweet can be!

It's really too bad that so many don't know... so sad.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna retire on the 505 (with a bunch of S7-2XX siblings)... yes... it's true... it's love!

If the newer TI units are like the older ones, the dip switches are only read at PLC start up.

So...if you make any dip switch changes you have to restart the PLC. Is this true for the newer systems?