Outputs not outputing

JasonG

Hey all this thing is driving me nuts. If I connect to this PLC and close I:0/0 timer T:4/0 and T4:1 run as they should but for some reason O:0/0 and O:0/0 to not come on.

The strange thing is that it was working a few days ago. Also,if I:0/2 comes on timer t:4/4 comes on as it should and my outputs all work.

I know it something stupid but Ive been here for 13 hours working on other things and this is all I have left to finish. HELP

Thanks
Jason

You're absolutely right that those two outputs should come on when the timers are complete, as long as the inputs are still maintained true.

If this was working a few days ago, and you did not change the program, then you have something wrong in the output circuit itself.

If you did change the program, be sure you're not writing to those two same outputs on other rungs.

Do the output LED's on the MicroLogix come on ? If they do but your output devices themselves don't go on, start checking the power and fusing.

Be sure also that the MicroLogix is actually in RUN mode, though of course your other outputs would tend to indicate that.

No the output LEDs do not come on. Whats strange is that when I connect to the PLC rung 2 and 3 go high but no output...Ive had this happen befor with the micrologix1000 and actually had to scrap the program and start over

This may be a dumb question and I know that the indicator for forces enabled is always on for the ML1000, but did you actually go in the force table and verify that they are not being forced?

osr

JasonG
Check osr make sure you haven`t doubled up on one these. Like Ken Roach said make sure O:0/0 & O:0/1 are not off below this.
If you have some spare outputs see if it will turn them on. If that doesn`t work after 13 hours i believe I would have a 🍺 and :unsure: about it.

- is this ladder scanned?
- are those outputs used anywhere else (maybe not just as bit...)?
- are those timers used anywhere else?
- do you know how TOF works (sorry to ask this but many people don't know...)?

Well if this really did take me 13 hours Id be fired. Ive been here working on 5/05 racks for the cell release system and they threw this thing at me at 3 today. Its an interlock system for the sally port so when the garage doors are open the cell are doors wont unlock.
I did figure out what it was...but im not sure why. There was a release button added that was to cause the two output to go true. I assume that the logic wanted to see everything go high befor it would take o/o and o/1 high....

shiloh.gif

Do they have an emergency over-ride, or tie in with the fire alarm system?

I understand not wanting the sallyports and cell doors open at the same time. While I have spent 35 years in and out of law enforcement in varying degrees, I have spent more time in fire service and ems. I would rather see loose criminals then fricasied jail birds.

Now, if I were the local sherrif, we would have something, even if it were a keyswitch. Local sherrif, hmmmmmm. I childhood goal was to run in 1980, but was with Proria PD at the time 4 counties away.

Come to think of it, the local sherrif and I don't see eye to eye, specially when I said he shouldn't spent $12,000,000 (yes, 12 million) to put new radios in 30 (thirty) squad cars. $400,000 per car, just think what would happen to taxes. They eventually got $2,000,000 in federal money, and the radio system doesn't work. The new system was one of his campaign points. No one ran against him. In this county, the incumbent party always win!

Maybe in three more years.........

regards.....casey

kc9ih said:
Come to think of it, the local sherrif and I don't see eye to eye, specially when I said he shouldn't spent $12,000,000 (yes, 12 million) to put new radios in 30 (thirty) squad cars. $400,000 per car, just think what would happen to taxes. They eventually got $2,000,000 in federal money, and the radio system doesn't work. The new system was one of his campaign points.
regards.....casey

$400,000/radio, WOW. That's some fleecing of some tax dollars.

Wouldn't be better to use bit address after your timers and use those bit to operate your outputs. Do others use outputs in more than one place in the program??? I've never done that for the simple fact of last scanned wins.

Being that we are the fire alarm contractor as well we have that all worked out. There are guard areas that have manual release buttons that only function during fire emergencies in there location. There is also a master key swith to bypass the whole system as well as each cell door has its own key on it if needed.
We were never the PLC installer to begin with on this job and about a month ago the electrical that was in charge gave up so they asked if we could help. Well I may not be a PLC expert but I sure did get some new toys from work to program them with!!!! Im really getting into them

I totally wiped out the program and did use bits off of my timers to control my outputs. Sometimes its just a simple matter of starting from scratch with some fresh ideas

Hopefully we see some of those 400,000 radios on ebay sometime, bet you could call into space with that thing :)

Jason,

OK so this is a jail. I don't know how many prisoners or cells or the size. I am only learning PLCs and am in early stages at that.

I am an electrician and ex submarines so I understand redundancy, backup systems etc.

The safety issues here are guard safety from the prisoners, prisoner safety from each other and all the people safety in case of fire.

I understand there are electric overrides for the doors and where that fails the key ring on the guards belt to open each door manually.

Is PLC control of doors the best choice given the above criteria? Where is the cost savings -- you still have to have electric override and like I said the guard with the key ring.

Computer or PLC control is great BUT here in Washington a few years ago computer control was blamed for the state ferries ramming the docks. From this event and some personal events events (it did exactly what I told it to do) with computers I do not place total faith in them.

DAN