1746-NI4 config

islman1975

How do I configure this card for 4-20ma. There doesn't seam to be an output word associated with the slot when I configure it as I've found when using the 1746-NI8 card.

I dont have the card yet. The dip switch is for either voltage or current. But you can select either -+20mA, 0-20 mA or 4-20mA usally with a cofiguration output word you write to. Well I've done this in the past with the 8 channel card.

they're similar - but not the same -

the NI4 doesn't have the same features as the NI8 ...
the configuration and scaling are different ...

page 4-6 [Adobe Reader page 44 of 113] of the

4-Channel Analog Modules User Manual

should help you understand how the NI4 interprets the different input ranges ...

PS Edit: which is what my distinguished colleague 93lt1 was posting while I was typing away ...

4-20ma

I'm shooting from the hip here, but I think you configure the card for current, which gives you a range of -20 to +20 ma (which I think is not adjustable by any user means). Since your input device (sensor?) ranges from 4-20 ma, the numeric range you'll get from the input will be in the range of 6550-32767 as the input swings from 4-20ma. Use the SCL or SCP instructions to convert these raw numbers into something useful.

It seems to me I've done this..uh...maybe once in the last 6 or 7 years, so I'm going from memory.

rotsa ruck!

CB