Trouble in Paradise???

Stephen Luft

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone else heard about this:

It seems that AVG (whom supplies the touch screens for Automation Direct) is in the process of offering their products directly through a new web site of their own, and also in the process of separating from their association with Automation Direct, similar to what happened with Optimation a few years ago.

Whether Automation Direct will still able to offer the AVG touch screens or not, I don't know.

The web site is not up as of this date, but my understanding is that the url will be www.ezautomation.net and will be active sometime in January.

It also seems that they will be offering their touch screens for 20% less than what they can be purchased for through AD.

Any thoughts comments or opinions are welcome.

oh!

Sounds like the same thing several years ago we called AD to
order a 640 and the person at AD gave the # for Optimation so
we called them and actually got it cheaper from them. Seems
like they did go backup though. This was about the sametime AD
took on this new line of PV`s. AD may have to start selling
550s Micro 300 WHO KNOWS lolis

This morning they are online ...

Uticor seem to be very active in its new distribution scheme. Although this is said to be a secret !!!

They look like having established a new network of distributors and re-sellers.

In a few weeks they will unvail the names of them new "partners".

I understand they will be able to offer prices at 20% less than AD did.

The way this is going, they could soon give there HMI away free :)

When asked about AD, my most obvious answer is always about there customer care. IMHO they are the best.

I call supplyers for technical questions about 4 time a year. I tend to first RTFM, then come at PLCTALK.NET and then call them.

I have had the best technical responses AND the best fellings about my own importance from AD.

Last edited:
Don't get too excited yet, Stephen. This is a quote from the web site:

"We have not officially launched and opened EZAutomation for business yet. Please check back or call 1-877-774-EASY to get the latest update on the launch date."

The AVG relationship with AutomationDirect.com (ADC) was not exclusive, and I actually got a market research call from them about 6 months ago. When I mentioned that I bought from ADC they very quickly stressed that they were not trying to cut into that relationship.

I suspect that ADC will continue to market the EZ-Touch for a long time, because I expect they are making money at it. I imagine a lot of customers will stick with them for the one stop shopping convenience. As long as ADC is making money on the EZ-Touch, I expect they will keep it.

Again, this is highly speculative, but I expect AVG wanted an outlet for products like the HMI/PLC combo that ADC may not have been interested in, and AVG probably felt they could emulate the ADC marketing model and make more money.

A big diference, in my mind anyway, between EZ-Touch and Optimation is that the EZ-Touch is a great product and the Optimation sucked.

Tom,

I guess we will have to see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

Let me ask you a question. If you were supplying a company with your product for resell and then come out and publicly offer the same product for less, don't you think there is more that is going on than either of the principles is letting on to?

In reviewing their web site, they are obviously focusing their marketing directly at automation direct. Whether their original deal was exclusive or not, someone is definitely intending to ruffle some feathers.

Not being able to predict the future, but I wouldn't be surprised if AD does look for a different line of operator interfaces and touch screens.

Not to revel in other people's problems, but it is nice not to be in the line of fire of this battle of Goliaths. It will be interesting to see how AD handles the competition. Eventhough the automation market is fairly mature, yet still growing, with the addition of competition, specifically to the AD marketing model, margins usually get squeezed because you the start of the battle is usually a price war.

Regardless of what happens, we will continue to go in the path that is working for us. We know our niche and will continue to offer the best service that no one knows about...lol.

...and Tom, even though they have not yet opened for business, officially, the seed has been planted...the gloves are off and the battle is about to begin.

God Bless,

I looked at it. In as far as the comparison to Quick PanelView goes,
Quick Panel View has web server capability and it can process both
serial channels simultaneously. I am not sure if EZ Touch CE can do this?
Obviously they will only point out their strong points.
One thing that is a drag with all these HMI's is the development software, I think that it should be free!
By the way GE Fanuc's support is not that good. Waiting two days for someone to get back to you is a little too much.
I wonder what AVG's support is going to be like?

All I can say is, overlapping objects. Finally!... (y)

Note the price for the DC I/O cards (WITH removeable terminal blocks!)... $19.00... :cool:

beerchug

-Eric

Bitmore said:

Reminds me of another thread ;) ;) ;)
avgfunny7cc.jpg

Stephen, I guess I feel it could go either way. ADC sells a lot of other products that are not exclusive - Hitachi VFDs, Cutler Hammer pilot lights and contactors, Lookout HMI software ...... I don't think exclusivity is a big concern at ADC.

Or, someone in Bettendorf could have gotten PO'd at someone in Atlanta, and a big dust up is coming. Only time will tell.

Stephen Luft said:
... Whether their original deal was exclusive or not, someone is definitely intending to ruffle some feathers...

I support that hypothesys Stephen.

We purchase directly from AD through there web store but there is a local supplyer for the same equipments. We just don't like to pay MORE and receive LESS.

There tech. dept. knows a lot less than we do. So why pay more.

On average the price this local dealers offers us is about 25% more than the cost to go direct...

What is funny is that Uticor sets up shops locally (with same prices as there Web store ... so they say !!!) and this AD reseller says he stil has the line.

The Website was registered in the Uticor land ... back in august

I know of at least 3 resellers who have privatly confirm that in 2 two 3 weeks they will be able to sell this HMI line but don't know yet which models nor prices ...

For us the choice will be a simple one.

AD direct with good prices and very good support.
Local AD with bad prices and no support
Uticor store with good prices but who knows about support
Local AVG reseller wet behind the ears.

Well,

I had a rep in house from uticor this week and I must say, I am impressed with the changes they are making with the EZTouch Panel. I especially like the "display Tags" function. Press one button and all the tags used on that screen are shown on the buttons that use them. It is sweet! Overlapping buttons works greats as does resizing without having to be tied to the touchpanel grid.

Perhaps NOW they'll finally change those awful 'bat wings' on the EZ-Text panels to something more 'rectangular'... :nodi:

I can dream, can't I?... :D

beerchug

-Eric