RSView ME crash on app. transfer

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
No, not as bad as it sounds.

I recently had an event that caused me to pause and wonder.

A mature project, PanelView Plus 1250, and RSView ME.

Create application program, and then used the application
transfer utility to transfer it to the PanelView.

Sure enough, I needed to make a small adjustment in font size,
so, I had to download again.

THIS time, the TransferUtility crashed (my laptop, not the PanelView), with an AppName of
metu_lng.exe. Not very helpful, but, I got to thinking
about the internal memory in a PanelView Plus, and how, just
perhaps, I'd exceeded it during the download.

Off to the PVP, delete one old file, and download again. BINGO.

Now, perhaps AB has fixed this in a recently released version, but
the lesson learned is to check your PVP for memory space before
downloading.

Oh, BTW, the PanelView just kept on running the previous application
and didnt blink an eye during all this. Good thing, eh?

Happy New Year, to all

jd

My laptop commonly crashes when I try to create the runtime application. I have no clue why but save before trying to create and then reboot to cure it.

My laptop crashes allot when running any Rockwell software product and I have a long list of unanswered case numbers.
It crashes more often than not when running the RSView ME developement application.
They promise allot but deliver little or nothing at all, I still sell and use A-B products I'm just not to happy about Rockwell.

Thats funny Mr. Bitmore. I am in no-way affiliated with Rockwell, but I find your statements odd. Rockwell builds some pretty fantastic software, if you compare to some of the other **** out there.

I have been using Rockwell products for over 10 years now, and there are some bugs, no doubt.....
But most crashes are caused by conflicts within the OS and the PC. I don't think that it is fair to blame Rockwell for the majority of your problems.
For example, I used to have an old Toshiba Satellite that would not run AB and Siemens software on the same HD. I blamed Siemens and Rockwell for the problems I had, but later re-installed all of the stuff on one PC, a newer Toshiba with more memory....etc and the systems work flawlessly.
A lot of the times it is the PC.
And yes, I have had a lot of experience in the Automation Industry, especially in MI.

I have experienced similar problems at Bitmore with RSView Studio. On one computer, it won't export tags and on another it won't import them. It has also been prone to random crashes.

From a functionality standpoint, it is far from polished. The non-resizable alarm edit window and the lack of decent error descriptions in the validator are examples.

However, I like the product and the benefits outweigh these things in my mind. I expect it to get better.

You are right, put it on a fresh install machine and it works well. Just don't put a lot of other stuff on that machine.

"metu_lng.exe" is the RSView ME Transfer Utility, using RSLinx Next Generation, aka RSLinx Enterprise.

But then, that's not too big a surprise; you knew that the Transfer Utility is the one that failed.

jd, was your PV+ the one with the base memory of 32 MB or the expanded 128MB unit ? I presume that you were loading into the built-in storage card.

I do like that you can load an application into the PV+ without disturbing the running application; in practice this makes adding features to your RSVME application a pretty smooth operation.

KEN: Yes, the ability to download and upload while the terminal
is running is a really neat feature,,,, I like it too.

And, yes, I was loading to the 'internal storage', not a CF
card. (there's not one installed yet)

And I don't remember, but, I'm pretty sure I used a 128M
terminal for this one. The app file is 1.8MB