PLC data to XML

ronjapus

HI,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to convert PLC data to XML.

I'm gratefull for any answer.

Many thanks.

-ronjapus :)

I'm not sure I understand the question.

The 'ML' in 'XML' stands for "Markup Language" (just as it does in HTML, which is more-or-less a subset of XML)

Your question is roughly like asking "Does anyone know how to convert the Gettysburg Address into HTML?" One is raw data, the other is formatting.

What I think you are asking is "How do I get PLC data out of the PLC and into a text file?". To do that, you need a driver that is capable of talking to the PLC (OPC is probably the way to go - check out KEPware which has OPC drivers for almost all PLCs) and then you need to write some software (VB, C++) that uses the driver to call the data, and then generate an XML file that packages that data into whatever XML tags you want.

it's coming

OPC foundation at OPCfoundation.org has some answers for you.
OPC-XML standard is in the early stages of development.
There could be some Companies out there with actual products.
My understanding is that the original OPC data access will remain the
same but the 'interface glue' will be XML. It's definitely a
legitimate question, XML is coming to PLC world.

Thanks to the both of you. :) :)

Your answers has been very useful to me. I have a lot of knowledge of XML and related technologies and I'm thinking of combining it with data from a PLC to create my wanted result.
You don't happen to know of some websites where I can learn more about the relationship between XML and PLCs do you?
My idea is to use the XML technology SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) to present and alter data from a PLC. XML would have to be used as a middle layer to do this.

-ronjapus