PLC Applications

lilegbeaner16

Hi, guys im a newbie here. I am a student enrolled at Devry University in IL. I am doing a project on PLC's which include a 25 page essay and also a 45 minute presentations on them. Ive been doing research online, but cant find out alot of what I am looking for exactly. I need to find out different PLC applications. Such as when being used in a application such as a car computer what it does. Anyone know where I could find websites on these types of things or if anyone could halp me out, I'd really appriate it.
Thanx,
Richy

A PLC is used to control a PROCESS.
It can be used to control very simple processes or very complex process depending on the application.
Examples:
Paper Mill, Saw Mill, Sewage Treatment Plant, Robotics etc, Wharf Cranes, little machines, big machines.... the options are enormous.

If we are talking about a plant, a plant will usually have more than one PLC with each PLC controlling a different section of the plant.
These PLCs are usually networked together.

A PLC is used to replace physical wiring and relays in a control switchboard meaning that instead of hard wiring all the sensors, switches etc into a control board and then rewiring the whole board every time we want to make a change, all we have to do is re programme the PLC.
This saves time and money...and mess if you look at any boards I rewired that dont have a PLC.

Basic Concept:
You have something needing to be controlled. Your front porch light.
It needs to come on at 8pm and off at 10pm or if an intruder passes a sensor, but only if the temperature is above 60degs and you want an override switch so you can turn it on any time you want.

The intruder sensor, the temperature sensor and the override switch are inputs INTO the PLC.
The porch light is an output FROM the PLC.
The timer is integrated in the logic that you program into the PLC
using a computer with the appropriate software, and a cable to connect between the PC and the PLC.

As far as a car goes...
Think - temperature, oil pressure, rpm, speed, torque etc are inputs to the PLC
Think - Fuel injectors, warning lamps, buzzers, solenoids, etc are outputs from the PLC.
The manufacturer programs into the PLC the logic that exists between the PLC inputs and outputs. eg. "If my speed is 50mph, and my engine torque is X then I am running inefficiently so adjust my fuel to compensate.

Dont know if I'm on the right track for what you want. If you elaborate a bit more, others can help.

lilegbeaner16,

My exception is that "car computers" are not usually considered to be "PLCs", except in a generic sense. The manufacturer-installed computer on a car is more correctly considered to be a special-purpose non-user-programmable computer, and because it is not normally user-programmable then it is not a "Programmable Logic Controller". Note that this does not exclude the fact that a PLC COULD be installed and programmed to operate a car.

Click on the Learn PLC's button above, and schrol down to the Manufacturers Links button. There are many links there including those listed above. Most have some applications listed on their sites. The entertron site has several listed that are very interesting, in particular.

best regards.....casey

Here is a great example of a student asking for assistance. I think the 25 pages and 45 minutes is a bit drastic.

Note to L~16: PLC's have lots of practical uses in everyday life, but are seldom used in traffic signals, see link below!

"Traffic Signal PLC Link"

From my understanding my part of the project is to actually find out where PLC maybe used, give specfic examples and then give advantages and disadvantages upon the usage of the PLC. Also, comparing multiple PLC's to do the same job
Thank you in advance, and thanks for the help that i have been given, it's really helping me out thank you