bluetooth wireless

rowens

I just read the PLC tutor sheet about Bluetooth.
It talks about wireless comm between two PLCs.
Can it be used as a network for multiple PLCs?

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

It depends entirely on the PLC's, and the BlueTooth devices.

Most BlueTooth things out there are two point devices (ie, a 'wireless cable') and only talk in pairs. There are a few that can operate on a bus type architecture (RS422/485), but they are fairly uncommon.

The next problem, is that BlueTooth is fairly short range (by design), so unless you have a real reason to use wireless comms, it's much cheaper to run a wire.

Thanks
I am starting to work on a new installation and was looking at the available posibilities.No rush to do this job. it will replace manual labor for an automated facility.It will be a time filler among my other duties at our other locations.
I will have a main AB PLC and about 6 to 8 slaves.
Some are PLC and some PC and 4 touch screens.
The company already has the PLC's but nothing has been installed or wired.
I apreciate any suggestions.