S5-135U Running from EPROM - Can I online Edit DW?

SNK

I am required to do online changes to an existing application running on a S5-135U processor. I know that the unit seems to boot from the EEPROM card, because with the card missing, the processor remains in a faulted condition.

Is it possible to make changes for the processor only, and not the EEPROM? I always want to revert back to the original program that is stored on the eeprom. It seems that when the EEPROM is loaded/inserted, the program cannot be modified. Is this true?

I am actually only changing data words, so the changes are minor.

Also, when I use the TEST Block Status, I can only seem to see the very first highlighted rung. If I want to go to the next segment, the rungs are no longer highlighted, even though I am in TEST mode still. Is this normal, or how do I see the other rungs in the PB highlighted like the first?

Sorry, I am using Siemens S5 V6.65 Software

I'm pretty sure that dws are held in the ram after initial boot up from the eprom, and so you are able to alter them.( I remember altering a palletiser program that ran from eprom). But remember that if you power down and then restart, you will load in the initial values from the eprom again, and overwrite your modifications. You will need to blow the eprom with your new values after you are done.

No it is not normal to see no rungs highlighted after the first one... Does that happen in all blocks? Maybe the block you are looking in has a BEC (block end conditional) stopping the rest of the block from being processed. Does a message come in the right hand bottom corner saying "statements not processed"?

HTH
:)

I cant remember...I am at home right now. I do remember having a red text displayed in the lower right hand side reading Status Test Mode.

With regards to the DW, I was testing entering data into the DW115, and was watching the HMI to see if the changes were made. I see that the change that I made was accepted with the Siemens promts at the base of the screen "Do you want to download changes" "do you want to add FD" etc, and the data changed on the laptop, but did not change on the HMI. (Yes the address was the same).

I had the operator change the same address from the HMI, and with toggling between offline/online to the DB and the DW, I saw the change.
This is why I am curious about the writing to the RAM in the PLC.
I am more versed with AB products, and am used to seeing things "real-time" with the PLC/SLC/Contrologix stuff. This stuff really bites.

Thanks for the help,
I will get back to you tomorrow.

S5...?

Sorry for you. (What was Siemens thinking?)

As things are going, with S7, you could just as easily slide into S7... they are looking more and more like S5... sorry for us (original S7 users).

I remember that you have to wait a few seconds before you see the message "statements not processed".
Question: When you change the value on the PLC, sounds like in the force variables screen, and you see the change accepted on the screen, but not the HMI, if you monitor that variable again, has the value returned to its original or is it reading as your new value?

Just wondering if that DW is being written to elsewhere apart from the HMI.

This stuff really bites.

Agreed.

It reads the new variable. This is why I think the eeprom is messing things up.
Is there any way to pull the eeprom and run with the RAM in this hunk of &**)__? Or is it my assumption that the S5 needs the eeprom to function correctly?

I work in the Pharaceutical industry, and it is not as easy to change out platforms as one might think.
Not to mention that the programs are not just upload, and download to the new style. As you are aware, little anomolies occur with software platform changes, and Every change done to software needs to be Validated, and is checked by the government on an annual basis.

Yeah, I know it sucks.

The processor can run without a eprom. But you have to make sure that the memory within the processor is big enough to hold the entire program contained within the eprom.

That has just jogged a bit of memory for me. I remember that when I changed the program, I took an upload, then pulled the eprom, erased the memory and downloaded the new program then worked on it as normal.

Obviously the eprom can only be pulled with the power off so its a real pain if you can't stop the plant.

Thanks Randomfire,

The problem is that when I boot up without the card, the PLC is in Fault, which could be I guess a number of things.
I think that I have to go through a process of STOP the PLC with the SW, toggle run or something like that to clear the fault. The problem is the booting back up without the fault....

Can you identify the steps to download to the processor only, and not the eeprom?

The machine is in mainenace mode now, and is not connected to other devices downstream, so I have all the time in the world to attempt my changes.

Sorry, but i'm on someone elses pc now..

First you need to clear the processor memory, done by holding the bottom switch to the OR (Overall Reset) position. Then you need to toggle the run stop switch 3 times quickly and stay in the stop position until the stop led stops flashing and comes back on. This has cleared the processor memory. Then you should be able to download your uploaded program to the memory of the processor (assuming there is enough space) and flick the run/stop switch to run.

Easiest way to erase the PLC is to use your S5 program
Chose FILE>BLOCKS>DELETE then you highlite PLC and delete entire PLC
if your not familiar with the flickering switches

I use to have an extra RAM module instead for the Eprom if the memory in PLC is to small when i do some changes to a PLC then i burn the Eprom when everything is working fine.

Make sure there is a good battery in the psu.Otherwise it cant hold the prog
You should be able to enter the values in the dw.
With regard to showing up on the hmi, check that the dw values are not tranferred to another dw and this is only called when a certain input is on , ie when a pb on the hmi or panel is pressed.
I have had similar happen with a palletiser prog and the display is only updated when given signal from hmi

Just a thought!!??

Not all S5 135 CPU's have RAM for the PLC program; only internal DB RAM.

If you pull the EPROM/EEPROM then you will have to fit a RAM Module.