Searching beginner information on RXLogix

Liedberg

Hello!

Reacently I have laid my hands on a Allan-Bradley MicroLogix 1500, software called RSLinx Lite and RSLogix500.

My aim is to learn a little about PLC programming and try to get some programms to run on the hardware.

To be frank and honest I find the books in the package a bit "thin" not much information fro someone like myself, so now I am wondering if anyone of You have a nice page with some "Get started" tutorials. What I am looking for is not examples of code but the step befor that, this is how You set up a project, this is how You download the application to Your hardware and such.

Thank You very much.
Best regards
Johan Liedberg

Liedberg,

There are plenty of manuals available for free download at Rockwell Software for the MicroLogix 1500, RSLinx, and RSLogix.

Unfortunatley for you, Allen-Bradley also sponsors classes across the country where they teach the beginning things that you need to know. That means that because people are paying for this information, it is not widely available, in one manual, from AB for free.

Fortunately, the setup procedures are pretty straight-forward and intuitive.

1. You need a connection cable to connect a computer to the ML1500.
2. Load the software, RSLogix and RSLinx onto a computer located such that you can connect the ML1500.
3. Connect power to the ML1500, probably 120 volts AC.
4. Use RSLinx to establish communications with the ML1500.
5. Start RSLogix and see if you can "go online". (Click Comms, Go Online").
6. Once you have establlished that you can go online, then go offline, write your program, then "Download" it to the ML1500.

Last edited:
Thank You very much!

So far I have managed to do points 1-4 in Your list, at least I think I managed to do number four, after some auto configure, RSLinx displayed 77 questionmarks and called it "Unrecognized device"

I can see on the plc that the Comm led is flashing and "driver diagnostics" is constantly increasing the number of sent and recieved packages.

In the RSLogix500 software I am supposed to choose a processor before I start a new project. I think I got a one called 1764-LSP, but it is not listed in the RSLogix500 software, is this not the processor I have got? Is there any way that I can find out which processor I got?

When trying to performe number five on Your list I get a popup-box saying "Target node is not a SLC-500 or micrologicx controller", I guess this got to do with the choose of processor?

Thank You very much
Best Regards
Johan Liedberg

You didnt mention what version of RSLogix you have, if its not 5.0 (maybe 5.2 but not sure) then it may not have the ML's listed.

When you create a new project a list should appear, scroll down and look for Bul . 1764.

If its an ML1500 it will be a 1764, it should have the model on it.

I checked the manual and its RSLogix 4.0 and above but if you dont have 5.1 or above then some features may not be there.

Last edited:
Greetings Liedberg,

you said:
... RSLinx displayed 77 questionmarks and called it "Unrecognized device" ... I got one called 1764-LSP, but it is not listed in the RSLogix500 software ... I get a popup-box saying "Target node is not a SLC-500 or micrologicx controller" ...

all of this strongly suggests (but doesn’t prove) that your RSLogix500 (and maybe RSLinx software too) is probably older than the model of MicroLogix that you have ... basic idea: as newer models of processors come out, you need to update your software to keep pace ... otherwise some of the newer features are not recognized by the older software and you run into problems such as you’re describing ...

suggested plan of attack: if the software that you have is legally registered to you, then contact your Allen-Bradley distributor and ask about an update ... note: you might have to pay for this ...

if you have a bootleg copy (I didn’t ask – so don’t tell me) then you might want to think about putting the MicroLogix on the shelf for awhile and investing in an older model processor (one fully supported by your versions of software) ... even a MicroLogix 1000 would probably do everything that you’ll need for “learning purposes” in the near future ...

or ... if the source from which you obtained your gear is still available, maybe they would be willing and able to swap out an older (compatible) model processor ...

good luck ... and welcome to the forum ...

Last edited:
Thank You very much, itfeels lika I am lerning. I recieved some old updates from the man I got the plc from (my father) so now I have revision 3.01.09.00.

After installing the updates I was ready to take on the world. So I did a little ladder diagram, when an input goes high a output should do so to, just like a relay. When I try to download to the plc, it gives me the following error: Rung 0 Ins 1:ERROR: Address must be specified to the Bit level!

I have tried to name the input I1:0.0, that does not seam to work, I have tried a lot of other ways, 0:0, 0000, 0.0, but I am just guessing so its not working out great.

Could You please tell me the correct way to lable an input/output?

Thank You very much
Best regards
Johan Liedberg

Greetings Johan,

here’s the absolute best way to learn the addressing syntax in RSLogix500 ... just open a data table and click on a bit ...

[attachment]

the circled field below will give you the exact syntax for the bit that you’ve highlighted ...

and if you like that, then you’ll love this ... you can also just click on the bit that you want to use and drag it up to one of those little red targets that pop up in your ladder file ... when the target turns green, you’re close enough ... just release the mouse button to drop the address in place ... bingo ... you don’t even need to type in the address at all ...

going further ... there are several different ways to display the addresses in RSLogix500 ... right click on an EMPTY (white) area of the ladder display window ... select Properties from the pop up menu ... go to the Address Display tab ... now experiment with the different settings until you find the one that makes the most sense to you ... just as an example: bit “I:0.1/5” can also be addressed as “I:0/21” ... either syntax is fine ... just notice that both addresses refer to exactly the same bit ... if you experiment for a few minutes on the input data table, you should be able to spot what’s going on here ... but post again if you need help with this idea ...

regarding your problem:
Address must be specified to the Bit level!
this usually means that you left the “slash” ( / ) character out of the address you typed ... secret handshake: the “slash” syntax indicates that we’re talking about a “bit” ...

syntax.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings Liedberg,

Since you are a beginner, I would recommend the following textbook to you, Micromentor, Understanding and Applying Micro Programmable Controllers , Allen-Bradley Publication # 1761-MMB. This is a wonderful beginner's text that the technical college I teach at uses. It would be useful to you because it is specifically written around the MicroLogix platform. Unfortunately, it is not offered free on their web-site, but lists for only $21.00. You might want to inquire about it with the local A-B distributor. Good luck to you!