More Allen Bradley SLC-500

glaverty

About a month and a half ago I posted some questions about connecting to an SLC-500 because a friend of mine had some work they wanted me to look at. Well I have had a chance to look at it and of course I have more questions.

The system itself isn't all that complicated. It is a SLC5/02 with 4 cards

- (1) 16pt Input Card (1746-IA16)
- (2) 16pt Output Cards (1746-OW16)
- (1) High Speed Counter (1746-HSCE)

The system is almost identical to the Sequencer Mode Cut to Length example in the HSCE User Manual with the exception that they also punch some holes in the metal sheet they are cutting.

It was programmed using PLC-500 AI Series Off/Online V8.18

I assume this was released before/replaced by RSlogix500.

I would rather use RSlogix500 because it looks a lot more user freindly and a little more intuitive to learn since this is my first AB project.

So what am I facing if I want to reprogram this with RSlogix500?

Will I have to rewrite the entire program to get it from PLC-500 to RSLogix500?

Will I need to update the firmware on the 5/02 CPU and how do I find out what rev it is currently at?

If I do need upgrade is it free or do you have to pay for the upgrades?

If there is anything else that you can add, and I am sure there is please feel free.

I am meeting with the guy next week and want to be able to answer these questions.

It has been a long time, :unsure: but I think you can open a AI project in RSlogix500 and then just save it converted. As for the firmware on the 5/02 CPU I am not for sure. :(

Originally posted by glaverty

So what am I facing if I want to reprogram this with RSlogix500?
As long as you already own RSLogix500, you're facing nothing. If you don't, $$$

Will I have to rewrite the entire program to get it from PLC-500 to RSLogix500?
RSLogix has no trouble opening AI files. When you are prompted "Do you want to import the database/", reply "Yes"

Going backwards (so your friend can continue to use his AI) is a bit trickier, but not terribly so. You can SaveAs in AI format, and if you check the box "Save Database as External File", you'll automatically save the annotation in AI format as well. (Otherwise you have to export it, which is also easy: TOOLS | DATABASE | ASCII EXPORT | AI Format)

Another method of going backwards is to use the PLC as a translator. Use RSLogix to download the code to the SLC. Read the code from the SLC using AI. RSLogix hasn't added any new instructions or changed the internal working of the PLC - it's just changed how the code is presented to us, and how we manipulate the code. The only thing that doesn't get transferred is the annotation, and as I said, that's easily exportable.

Will I need to update the firmware on the 5/02 CPU and how do I find out what rev it is currently at?

NO! Thankfully, no. This is only a SLC (and an old one at that), not a ControlLogix 5000. I'm not even sure you CAN upgrade the firmware.

If I do need upgrade is it free or do you have to pay for the upgrades?

In truth, you only need to upgrade RSLogix when Rockwell comes up with a new version of PLC that the old software doesn't support. Or if you just can't live without the latest bells-and-whistles they've added. Since the SLC 5/02 hasn't changed since the early 90's, any version of RSLogix500 can program this thing.

But the upgrade isn't free. Unless you've been PAYING for support.

If there is anything else that you can add, and I am sure there is please feel free.

Should be a piece of cake. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Allen, those are the kind of answers I like.

I guess I was comparing AB to GE because to use GE's newer software on old hardware you have to have the PLC's up to a certain firmware level.

Allright, now I have to decide on which version of RSlogix500 to buy. Looking through some old posts it sounds like the main difference between the Starter Edition and the Standard Edition is the ability to do online programming.

So two questions.

Is the 5/02 capable of online programming?

Is there anything else that the Standard edition offers over the Starter Edition?

I guess I was comparing AB to GE because to use GE's newer software on old hardware you have to have the PLC's up to a certain firmware level.

A amall FYI: Versa Pro will still read/write to older firmware model 90-30's. They recommend upgrading, and I have if I am going to use the unit in house BUT ...in the software you can turn on/off the ability to access the older models. I dont know what repercussions may happen if you dont upgrade (I paid $87 for the firmware for a 311) so far I havent seen any.

This was taken from the "RSLogix 500 getting results guide":

Online editing
The online editing function lets you monitor and correct your ladder program when your programming terminal is connected to a SLC 5/03, SLC 5/04 or SLC 5/05 processor. Only one programming device at a time can perform online edits of the program.
Online editing functions consist of inserting, replacing, and deleting rungs in an existing ladder program while online with the processor.

RSLogix 500 Getting Results Guide

Ron,

I know you that you can igonore the warnings in VersaPro, I haven't tried to load it into a CPU without upgrading first, I've only had to upgrade two of our processors. One of which controls the dropping of a 27,000 pound weight on our part, not the kind of thing I want to experiment with.

Rick and Kim,

Thanks for the replies, guess there is no point on spending the extra 600 bucks.