Wiring inputs and outputs on Micrologix 1000

jdmartin8

I am using a Micrologix 1000 (1761-AWA) on my PLC trainer. Please understand that I am a beginner, and am building my trainer so that I can continue my effort to learn programming.

When wiring the 6 inputs, can I just 'jumper' the two 'AC Common' terminals together, and feed a 120VAC neutral to one of the two locations?

Also, when wiring my lamps to the outputs, can all the VAC terminals be 'jumpered' together, and also feed a single 120VAC line to one of the locations, and then wire the O/0, O/1, etc. to the other lead from the lamp?

I hope someone understands what I am trying to say. Sorry if it's vague, but I'm TRYING to learn to do this !!

Thanks...

Jim

Greetings Jim,

since you’re obviously going to be working with 120VAC in a “learning/lab” environment, you might want to take a look at this previous post ...

the part that I think you’ll be most interested in is the last paragraph or two and the diagram in the following post ... the basic idea is to use a large 120V lamp bulb as a “fuse” in the circuit ... this can make your 120VAC wiring experiments a lot safer for the equipment you’re working on and also help eliminate those annoying arcs and sparks which result from dead-short wiring ...

Thanks for the suggestion, Ron. I do have the input AC fused, but will add the bulb, as you recommend. Never can be too safe!! I really didn't want to use 120VAC for my inputs, but this was the PLC that was given to me to build the trainer. My boss has been quite generous in giving me the PLC (new), and paying for a PanelView 300, as well as RSLogix 500, and PanelBuilder32, as well as all the programming and operational cables. He's spent quite a chunk, so I owe it to him to put it all to use and learn as much as I can.

Jim

just curious ... does your boss already have other PLC applications in use? ... or is this a “let’s get started” situation? ... I’m thinking that if you already have some existing programs handy, it might be a good idea to post them on the forum ... we can take a look at them and try to make some specific suggestions as to how you might be able to streamline your learning curve ...

Ron,

We have lots of applications already out there running. We don't use any 'slicks' in our operation, just an assortment of MicroLogix 1000's, 1200's, and 1500's. An assortment of various Panel Views as well, from the 300 Micro to the 600 series. All of our Touch Screens are EZ Touch, from AD.

Our application is large industrial water purifaction (De-Ionized and Reverse Osmosis) and filtration.

They are wanting me to get up to speed on the PLCs, so that I can move into the Instrumentation and Electrical position, and therefore be more directly involved with system design, installation, and startup.

I have numerous customer programs here, but am not certain about the improprieties of posting them.

Jim