OT, Excel "read only problem"

elevmike

Somehow one of my workbooks is suddenly marked as "read only". I show that theres no current password in the tools-protection, and cannot save it with new data..All subsequent save as's are also read only..

Does anybody know how to un-read only a workbook??

Edit: Never mind...I had the workbook opened in two differnet dialogs... utoh

Last edited:
If that doesn't work, create a new worksheet and copy all the data page for page from the read only worksheet to the new one, then work with the new one. (Delete or rename the old one if you want to keep the same name for the new one).

This system can also be used to save your bacon when you get one of those friendly Microsoft popup error windows saying "This program has caused an error and will be shut down." Before clicking OK, open a new file and copy the data from the old one - can save you hours of retyping if you haven't saved often enough in between times.