Ethernet Problem

SeanLee

Someone pulled out our Ethernet card out of a SLC 5/05
then plugged it back in now it wont come back on
i tried to reconfig and still no ethernet
need help

The Ethernet port is built-in to the SLC-5/05, so if somebody "pulled out" the CPU under power it assuredly lost the program and might have been damaged. Or did you mean that someone pulled out the Ethernet cable ?

Have you reloaded the program ? What do you mean by "reconfigured" ?

I recommend calling A-B Technical Support, because you need to be walked through the absolute basics of using Ethernet with your computer and your controller.

He didn't say no. Ouch.

The SLC series of processors are not hot-swapable.

It is likely that you have a fairly expensive paperweight in that rack.

However, it may be that the SLC has only had it's memory wiped (the hard way).

Have you tried connecting to it through the serial port (and perhaps doing an Autoconfig in RSLinx to find the default baud rate)?

If the memory is wiped, the IP address will be gone, and you won't be able to communicate via ethernet (for the time being)

Crossing fingers.......

Good.

If by some miracle, you do get a response from RSLinx, you will be able to download your old program using RSLogix and the new connection.

You do have a backup of the program, right?

Not surpising.

There are a few more things you can try, if you feel like it.

You can first intentionally reset the SLC (please power down the rack before removing it), and then try to Autoconfig the DF1 driver again.
Knowledgebase article on resetting SLC processors

You can double check to see if you cable is good. I'd hate to think of you throwning away a SLC because of a bad cable. Try it on another PLC is you have one around.

But in general, you're hosed.

Have you tried to cycle power to the whole rack after you re-inserted the processor? As mentioned before this processor is not hot swappable and requires proper power up sequence.

As Allen suggested

Do the Factory reset

This always works for me without fail

Check or change your cable and if that doesnt work your 505 is fried!