Fao of TOM

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
HI Tom, you posted this in a dc tacho thread,

Tom Jenkins said:
I've done speeed monitoring on 3600 rom equipment using a proximity switch (photo or magnetic) and the Red Lion converters. You can get almost any range you need with the IFMA unit.

Could you explain how you accomplished this ?

Reason i ask is that i have to display the output speed of a gearbox on a panelview, plc is a 5/04 inputs cards can be anything i choose and i need to monitor a speed range of 0-175 rpm

I'm not Tom, but I think I can answer your queston. I have a couple of pumps with similar arrangements (0-600 RPM). In my case I have 60 tooth 2-piece gear and a prox switch that feeds pulses into a redlion converter. The redlion outputs a 4-20mA signal to the plc.
I bought the entire setup from Redlion, gear, sensor, converter etc...
One plus is the converter I used also has a local RPM readout.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ken. Mqaybe I should put you on payroll? Or maybe bloke should put BOTH of us on payroll.

My applications were, of course, essentially the same. The only difference is that in my application, because of the higher speed, I only picked up one pulse per revolution. On some jobs that meant using a magnetic prox and detecting the key, and on one jub putting reflective tape on the shaft and using a Turk photo switch.

Last edited: