sequenctial programming

gscott1604

G
what exactly is sequenctial programming, and what are the advantages and dis-advantages of it.

I'm probably doing someone's homework for them, but.....

We used to have a method of programming that we called "structured programming." This, I believe, is what has now evolved into "sequential programming."

In structured programming, you had a process that the computer followed to determine an outcome. User input was only supplied when the computer required input, and was looking for it. Programs followed a "top-down" approach. The first statement in the program was always the first statement executed. Program flow would branch where and when the original design permitted or caused the change. Otherwise, flow continued from the top down (in sequence). COBOL, BASIC, FORTRAN, and assembler all followed this method.

Data and programs in structured programming were two different areas, which only interacted how and when the program decided interaction was necessary.

The current evolution of programming is OOP, which stands for "object-oriented programming." In OOP, the data is tied to the code in such a way that they become, in effect, a single unit.

The user, in OOP, initiates interactions with the program when the user decides interaction is necessary. Fundamentals such as methods, functions, and properties describe how to build an "object." Terms you'll need to know include encapsulization, inheritance, and instance (and instantiation). "Visual" languages, actionscript, and java are examples of OOP languages.