RSViewME & CtrLogix 5555 Tags

seppoalanen

Dear colleagues, I wonder, how can I import Tags from CtrLogix.ACD file to RSView Studio 3.20.00 (Build 43) (CPR 6) for PanelView +600.... or can I ?
I'm working offline.

Last edited:
You can't get the tags out of a .acd file however if you save as a .l5k file you can either hack the tags out by hand or use the Logix5000 tag import utility to create a .csv.

The .csv is not the end of the story however as you have to manually edit some cells before ViewStudio will import it.

The Rockwell online support knowledgebase has got the full details, do a search for P102846826.

Thank You NOP and Philip.

Now, I have link to it, but RSViewStudio is '1/2-made'. Tag names and descriptions have not shown, so have to use fingers..?

Communications:

[ ] RSLinx Enterprice, My computer name
[+]-[ ] 1789-A17, Backplane (Virtual?)
[-]--** EtherNet, Ethernet
[+]-[ ] (IP1) PanelView
[-]-[] (IP2) 1756-ETBT/A
[-]-[ ] 1756-A17/B (Backplane)
[-]-[] 0, 1756-L55/A Cpu <----- Short-Cut for this with path to PLC's .ACD-file in Application/Communication Setup/Local.

Next: Close RSViewStudio..
And finally: Open RSViewStudio and it work.
Better description in:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?threadid=12354

Seppo

The whole point of associating an *.ACD file with an RSLinx Enterprise shortcut is that you don't have to create RSViewME tags. You can directly reference ControlLogix tags.

Only the tag name is accessible; the description text in RSLogix 5000 stays in RSLogix 5000.

You do have to have a valid shortcut in the Local tab of RSLinx Enterprise. It sounds like you have it there, so you're all set.

Make sure you're using RSView ME Studio 3.20 !

You are correct, of course, Ken. You don't always HAVE TO create a tag (except with Alarms, and a few other places).

And you could even argue that it's better that you DON'T use the tag database - having animation linked directly to the the ControlLogix tag will be faster.

But why doesn't RSViewME at least LET YOU import tags from Controllogix?

But in RSViewME Studio (I'm still on V 3.1, so you can let me know if this has changed in 3.2) under Tools | Tag Import and Export Wizard, there is an option for "Import RSLogix 5/500 Address and Symbol files".

You would think that there would be a "Import ControlLogix Tags from csv file" option.

I've got to agree with seppoalanen on this one - there are times that RSViewME seems "half-made".

(oh-oh. Did I just send out "Let's bash RSViewME" invitations? I hope not - that's not where I want this to go.)

Ken Roach said:
The whole point of associating an *.ACD file with an RSLinx Enterprise shortcut is that you don't have to create RSViewME tags. You can directly reference ControlLogix tags.

That point is sensible.

Only the tag name is accessible; the description text in RSLogix 5000 stays in RSLogix 5000.

Thats why I need to see RSLogix tags also for the descriptions. 2'ndly I have to rename them, the tag name from RSLogix tag don't appear automatically to name field. Usually I'm working offline at home without any hardware.

You do have to have a valid shortcut in the Local tab of RSLinx Enterprise. It sounds like you have it there, so you're all set.

Make sure you're using RSView ME Studio 3.20 !

Yes I'm.

Thank you Ken !

Last edited:
Allen Nelson said:
....But in RSViewME Studio (I'm still on V 3.1, so you can let me know if this has changed in 3.2) under Tools | Tag Import and Export Wizard, there is an option for "Import RSLogix 5/500 Address and Symbol files".

It is not changed.

Seppo

Allen Nelson said:
You would think that there would be a "Import ControlLogix Tags from csv file" option.

You're expected to just use the tag broswer. There is, however, a benefit to being able to import tags and create and HMI database.

When you create a tag database in RSViewSE (I assume RSViewME is similar), you create a place for all the clients to get data from. With this database 100 requests for the SAME tag from 100 client screens become ONE request from the HMI server to the Data Server. Using the tag browser to plop down a direct link would cause each client to go to the data server and request the tag. You can see how that might bog down the control side of things.

Someone at Rockwell has created a cute tool for generating RSView.CSV import files from RSLogix5000.L5K export files. I'll bet it's in a tech note. It works ok on small imports. We ended up rolling our own in EXCEL because of the size of our databases. Plus, we gained more control over the data conversion.

AK

Hi AK,

I claim that Rockwell do it for all of us as some other manufacturer (S), was it English ? All extra work is extra work.

Seppo