PC to Hitachi HIZAC EM

Thull

I need a cable to connect from PC to DB-9 pin port on a Hitachi HIZAC-EM PLC.

I have a PGMJ programmer but would like to be able to down load to a laptop.

I have down loaded the ACTSIP-E software and it seems to be running fine.

I've tried various null modem cable combinations without much success.

One of my machines only has the 18-pin port for the PGMJ.
Is there a way to connect a laptop to it?

G'Day Thull,

You need the PGMJ-R2 handheld. This has a D25 socket hidden under one of the panels. Hopefully you have a manual for the hand held as you need to adjust a few DIP switches. If not let me know and I can check what they should be.

The cable from PGMJ-R2 and PC is as follows:

9 pin 25 pin
female male

2 ------------- 3
3 ------------- 2
5 ------------- 7
7 ------------- 11
8 ------------- 6
4 -+
6 -+

I know it has been some time but I hope this helps.

See Ya,
Andrew.

1 PLC has DB9

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for the response. I was starting to think no one used the Hitachi PLC's.

The programmer I have is only a PGMJ it does not have a 25 pin connector.
It only has MIC and EAR jacks that probably could be connected to a tape recorder.

One of my Hitachi PLC's has a female DB9 pin socket that I should be able to down load through. But none of the cable combinations I’ve tried seem to be correct. (Of course I could have the correct cable and my communication settings could be wrong.)

I see from your pin out that the null modem change over may already be done at the PLC. I think I will try the following cable:

PC PLC
9 pin 9 pin
female male
2 ----------- 2
3 ----------- 3
5 ----------- 5
7 ----------- 7
8 ----------- 8
4 --+ +-- 4
6 --+ +-- 6

Do you have a good guess of what the communication settings should be for a Hitachi HIZAC-EM?
The PC programming software defaults are:
Baud 9600
Stop Bits 1
Parity None

Thank you for your time,
Thull

Last edited:
Hi Thull,

The PGMJ will be useless to you unless you connect a tape deck and suck the program out and save it.

I am guessing that the other "Hitachi PLC" you talk about is an "EM3 CPU. It has the port that you connect the PGMJ to and a DB9 just below.

You should be able to download the program via the handheld and the tape copy. Then use the DB9 to go straight into the PLC.

The cable if I have guessed the above correctly is wrong!! Here is what I think it should be:

9 pin 9 pin
female------------male

2 ---------------- 3
3 ---------------- 2
5 ---------------- 5
6 ---------------- 4
7 ---------------- 8
8 ---------------- 7

Now as long as you have changed nothing on the comm's settings in Actsip E, then the 9600, 1, None is correct. You can change things on the CPU. If you take it out of the rack and hold the module with face pointing away from you, there is a 2 switch DIP switch. Sw1 should be ON and SW2: should be OFF.

Also on the front of the unit is a three position selector switch. When you connect the PGMJ make shure it is on PGM pos. When you connect with PC make sure it is in COM2. This is not a com port number but a protocol selector. Caution: When you change this switch you must power cycle the CPU for the switch position to take affect.

Last thing is making sure that where you configure the com port settings in Actsip you pick advanced mode protocol = YES. Then you should communicate.

Let me know if you need more help.

Cheers,
Andrew.

That is the original cable I tried.
But I did not power up with the selector switch in the correct position.

I'm sure that is what I was doing wrong.
I will give it a try.

Thank you very much for the info,
Thull

QUARRASH 19th

Hi All
I Have A Hitachi Hizac E-40hr Plus Actwin & Actsip Softwares
I Urgently Need To Get A Brief Information About : How I Can Build The Necessary Cable & Converter To Connect The Plc To My Pc Rs232 Port Or At Least , The Pin Assignment Of The Programming Port Of The Hizac E-40hr. Can Any Body Help Me?
Thnks In Advance To Everybody.

QUARRASH 19th

Hi All
I Have A Hitachi Hizac E-40hr Plus Actwin & Actsip Softwares
I Urgently Need To Get A Brief Information About : How I Can Build The Necessary Cable & Converter To Connect The Plc To My Pc Rs232 Port , Or At Least , The Pin Assignment Of The Programming Port Of The Hizac E-40hr. Can Any Body Help Me?
Thnks In Advance To Everybody.

Eric Nelson said:
You might find some info HERE... :confused:

🍻

-Eric
DEAR ERIC:
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTION . BUT IN FACT, I'VE ALREADY CONSULTED LIGHTHOUSEPLCS , AND I GOT A PRICE OFFER . IT IS TOO MUCH AND IT IS TOO FAR BEYOUND MY PAYING CAPACITY . SO I NEED TO GET THE PIN OUT ASSIGNMENTS OF THE PROGRAMMING PORT OF THE HIZAC E-40HR TO BUILD THE CONVERTER AND CABLE BY MY SELF . BY THE WAY , I AM AN ELECTRONIC DESIGN ENGINEER . SO , IT IS EASY FOR ME TO DO IF I HAD THE NECESSARY INFORMATION . I CAN OFFER HELP IN THIS WAY TO ANY BODY WILL NEED IT .I'LL BE GLAD TO DO .THANX..
YOURS : QUARRACH 19tH

Still in need

Yes, Please let me know if there is a way to connect a laptop to a Hitachi PLC programmer port.

I still have one PLC I have to use the hand programmer to make changes because neither the PLC nor the PGMJ programmer has a serial port.

Can I connect the laptop through the “EAR and MIC” ports on the PGMJ hand programmer?

What would be involved a tape down load? (I can’t believe I just typed that.) Then how do I get it to the laptop?

I have been using the demo version of ACTSIP-E software but it does not let you download a large project from the PLC. I’ve requested a quote but was wondering how much ya’ll think it should be?

Thank you,

Thull