SLC500 Global Data

12brich

You can only broadcast one INTEGER register per PLC on the Data Highway +. Is there a way to do more w/o going through MSG?

Not on DH+, and not with an SLC-500.

Logix controllers can do Produced/Consumed tags, and you can do larger interlocks on DeviceNet too.

But with DH+ you're going to have to trigger some messages.

well, maybe ... it all depends ...

if you could be a little (well, actually a lot) more specific, then MAYBE we could come up with something to help ... Ken is right, you can only send one integer at a time ... BUT ... how much INFORMATION do you really need to communicate? ... and how often? ...

basic idea 1:

there are 16 bits in an integer ... if all you need to send are four "code words" which each range in value from 0 through 15, then you could conceivably convert each "code word" into a four-bit pattern at one end of the line ... "pack" all four "code words" into a single sixteen-bit integer before transmitting it ... and then convert the information back again at the other end ...

basic idea 2:

as another approach, you could also pack up to 14-bits worth of data into the integer ... which would leave the other two bits available to store a “parcel number” which could range in value from 0 through 3 ... the receiving PLC would interpret the “parcel number” and use that information to decide where in an four-slot array of data to “store” that particular piece of information ...

now yes, any of these approaches would take some "hoop jumping" on your part ... but if your application really requires something along these lines, then it's nothing that you couldn't program ... and we'd be glad to help if necessary ...

and of course, I've just given two possible examples ... there are MANY other combinations of "information" that could be "packed" this way ... as I said earlier, you really need to be more specific in what you need to do ... the more we know, the more we can help ...

I'm kind of slow sometimes, so be gentle.
What's wrong with using the MSG instruction? Why go thru all the work Ron's method would require, when you could have a working MSG in no time? Is it because you need to "broadcast" this data to the entire network?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Ken