Siemens pg675 PLC

rluce

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have A Siemens S5 150K PLC that we access with a PG675 CRT.
Can anyone tell us what we need to access and program this plc with a Lap Top (PC) (Software/Cable)
The pg675 has double 5 1/4 floppy drives.
Also how can we transfer files from the floppys to the PC. These files do not appeqar to be DOS files.
Thanks

I think the files made by a PG675 might be pre-CPM, I cannot check it anymore because I've dumped mine some years agoo. Bad news is: the original Siemens software can import CPM files, but I'm not sure about PG675 files. I cannot test this either because I don't have any 5.25" drive left. I have not seen any third party software which can convert CPM S5 files to DOS versions. If you're using non-Siemens software (eg. S5 for Windows by IBH-Softec) you might need some other software to do that conversion first. This should be only conversion from CPM formatted disks to DOS formatted disks. Another drawback: where can you find a 5.25" drive for a laptop?

Kind regards,

(Jean-Pierre's comment above is referring to the original post of this image which was around the size of a football pitch)

from S5 reference guide .....

pg675.png

Ah, the memories ....

PG675 could work in two ways:
1. with a special floppy whith both the operating system and STEP5. (Squezed in with a shoehorn). That left the other floppy for the project. This worked quite well. Drawback: The project file was incompatible with S5-DOS.

2. with a large number of floppies whereon was the S5-DOS environment as well as the STEP5 programming system and utilities. It was incredible cumbersome, and thus people never used it.

I didnt know that you could convert the "one-floppy projects" to the S5-DOS projects (with the mentioned S5-KONVER utility). When the time came that the PG675 had to be pensioned we wrote the project to an EEPROM, and then read that with a newer PG710. We lost the comments etc. so it was quite a job to type them in again.

Last edited:
Wow, I think we used it in 1985-86...

PG675 need 2 5" disks - one with Programming software, one for data file.
I don't rememeber if it was a convertor to the PC based...

Cable was a 20ma current loop.

Yeah, S5 still use 20mA current-loop. But with a laptop it might be better (easier) to use a USB to current-loop converter. Nowadays it seems hard to find a laptop with an RS232 interface. That's a pity, because it was fairly easy (not to mention cheap) to construct an RS232 to current-loop converter.

Sorry about the 72" monitor remark, I simply couldn't stand the temptation :D .

Kind regards,