series one programming

mtushmoo

Someone gave me a couple GE-Fanuc Series one PLC's.

I don't actually have a use for them now, but someday probably will - I tinker with all sorts of gadgets all the time.

Trouble is, I don't have a programmer fro them. Is there some kind of software available for PC that I just need to download and make a cable?

Or does a series one require some kind of DCU unit for serial communication?

There's a "TI 305 hand programmer" on e-bay with a series one right now. Are they compatible?

If it's a big pain to program these things, I'll just dump 'em on e-bay, but if they can be made to work without allot of hassle, I'll keep 'em.

Thanks in advance.

Eric K

The GE Fanuc Series One is the same product as the Automation Direct DL305. It was also sold for a few years as the TI305.

Some of the GE Fanuc CPU modules are compatible with the Automation Direct software, some are not. If you have a CPU that is compatible with the software, you will need a DCU unit and cable to communicate with the software.

Programming with the handheld does not require a DCU unit. If you use only the handheld, the only way to make backup copies of your program is on cassette tape.

Automation Direct is still selling DL305s, but I think the primary reason they keep the line active is for bragging rights. The product has been around since the mid 1980s. It's not all that difficult to program, but it doesn't use the same addressing scheme as the rest of AD line, so its usefulness as a trainer is limited.