Learning about PLC's

G
Hi,
Just a few lines to say how great this site is and how lucky
you are if you live in the States-as regards training that is.
Here in England the local technical colleges have given up on
technical education and have gone over to the humanities,arts etc.
There is no way you can learn about or receive a good grounding
in PLC programming at these institutions as opposed to your local
colleges which I am lead to believe are very good in this area.
Engineering over here is in series decline as a lot of our-----
industrial base is being shipped abroad where it is cheaper to
produce products-given the cheap labour,low standard of living.
Anyhow my only options appear to be training via a manufacture
of PLC's-very exspensive for an individual-or simply to purchse
a basic PLC and teach myself.
I was thinkink maybe Omron or Mitsubishi???

Any advice would be appreciated.

PLC Programming

Hello Guest,

I learned much about PLC programming using Mitsubishi Medoc. I would recommend this as a starting point to anyone.

In our region, Omron PLC's are on the decline. I believe Mitsubishi is still a market contender. Siemens is on the upswing. I just heard today that Siemens enjoys a 47% increase in business this year. Allen Bradley is still king.

I do not think the software is too expensive. You may find a friendly supplier, who would give you an older version, or at least a student's discount. A powerful 10 I/O PLC would cost about $175 in the US. You just need a cable for about $100 and a PC.

It is a little more difficult to learn by doing. However, once the knowledge is obtained it is not easily lost.

Perhaps, you could even find an organization interested in sponsoring a "budding" programming wizard. That may help defray some of the cost.

Cheers,
NJG

Originally posted by Guest

There is no way you can learn about or receive a good grounding in PLC programming

That would depend on your choice of course that you are doing at college. Most colleges do 'generic' PLC programming as part of a wider curiculum. They cannot be manufacturer specific as they do not have the expertise to teach brand specifics, that is why manufacturers run their own courses. Yeah, I know they are expensive!

Find out what PLC's your employer uses or if you are currently not employed, research what PLC's your prospective employers use.

Read the 'learn PLC's' section here. Search this forum, there are plenty of links to manufacturers online training that might be of help to you.

Oh yeah, also register here and post any questions you might have, we will be glad to help, just don't expect us to do your homework for you!!

Paul