building automation

plcnewbie

I am just finishing up my degree in electronics with an ip emphasis. I was wondering does anyone here do any building automation. BacNet, Siemens stuff or anything at all? If so I am trying to find out if it is a good field to get into because they offer a bachelors degree in it here which is funded by Siemens. I am very interested in it since I have done home automation in the past Im not sure how similar they are. If so what is the avergae pay one can expect from places?

Just looking at options, Thanks all

If its funded by a company like Siemens then I suspect there will be openings available. Here is how I look at this, Siemens is THE largest electrical supplier in the world...therefore if they are funding training for an field they expect to SELL products in that field.

I am not sure that the pay aspect will be alot different than any other automation field.

Study the subjects and check all that is involved with this field, if you think it would be something you are interested in then you should go for it.

There is a control section in www.hvac-talk.com. They might be able to help you more.

I know a tiny bit about Siemens Apogee system. It's a lot like a DCS system with script like language. The hardware price on BMS is a lot less since it's not "hardened" like PLC/DCS. No idea about pay, but I expect it to be less than industrial since the environment is usually better.