Ferrule Crimper recommendations?

Steve Meisel

Recently I have been looking into purchasing a Ferrule Crimper and an assortment of ferrules. They sure make those prox wires easier to insert into a terminal strip, and they make it under the terminal screw the first time. All of our machine builders use them, and I have done a little research on different brands.
Any recommendations on which brand(s) and model number to buy or not buy. It appears that it is going to be expensive and I want to make sure that the money is well spent. I hate a tool that does not work like it is supposed to.

Thanks,
Steve

I don't have the part number but I highly recommend Weidmuller. I have the same one I bought ten years ago. My guys use it in the panel shop and field all the time. It was not cheap but it has made thousands of trouble free ferule crimps.

AD also sells a nice crimper set... I now have two, one that I carry to the job sites, and one that is in use at the shop most days...even our forklift guy uses it ...he likes the way it crimps new ends on throttle cables!!!...make sure you get a good selection of ends, some connections need short ones, and some need longer ones,...and the longer ones can be hard to cut nicely to fit the short spots.

David

I use the Phoenix crimpfox ud6. These don't have different dies and are only good for the ferrules. I actually bought the set (strippers, crimp, and ferrule) and then I just buy ferrules as needed (and usually keep them in the empty 3M tape container). Here is a link to the set, like everyone else, not cheap but I've had 3 sets here for over 5 years. Search for 1202072 CRIMPSET 6.

crimp set

I use Wieland. It gives a solid square shaped crimp instead of a trapeziodal shape. Looking at several cross sections of a finished trapeziodal crimp by others, some have limited contact area due to a depression in the long side of the trapeziod. Shouldn't be a big problem, though, unless you're toeing the line on current rating.

Greetings!
I personally use an Entrelec crimper and ferrules. There are a lot of good products avaiable, it would be a good thing to find out which products are going to most available in your area. I know that with Entrelec I have to have a minimum order as well. Ferrules are a quality way to terminate stranded wiring and make for a profesional
installation. :D

I have the Greenlee, it is a very robust tool. Years ago, a tech I was working with had an 'auto' loading ferrule crimper. It was awesome and fast. The ferrules loaded in sets of ten. Maybe he spent the previous evening loading the ferrules into the plastic sleeve reel, never seen it before/after.

Johnny