Alan Bradley PLC

shandra_ck

S
Hi all,

I am a new member and I found this website is very useful.

I do have a question on Alan Bradley PLC 5 and need some assitant.

How do I program the PLC 5 to work with Siemens OP 7?

What softwares do I need and how do I configure that in Pro Tool?

I really hope that someone can help me.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Shandra

Not sure I fully understand what exactly you are trying to do. To program the PLC-5, you will need RSLogix 5 software. To communicate with it, you will need RSLinx; it will have all of the necessary communications drivers for Allen Bradley PLC's (RSLinx Lite is included with RSLogix 5). If you want your PLC-5 to communicate with Siemens PLC's, that can be done a couple of different ways, depending upon which Siemens/PLC-5 CPU's you are using and what their comms capabilities are.

Here's how to:

In Protool, create a new OP7 project.
For the Protocol, specify Allen Bradley DF1 PLC-5 v. 6.0.
For the parameters, match the baudrate, stop bits etc. that is set for CH0 in the PLC5 project.
Also, you can specify the OP7 port IF1A for an RS232 connection or IF1B for an RS422 connection. On the PLC5 CPU you have to set the dipswitches in order to select RS232 or RS422 for CH0.

From then on, you simply specify tags with the relevant PLC5 addresses (i.e. N7:5, T4:5.PRE, etc. ).

About the PLC5 program:

You dont have to program any "special" functions in the PLC5 in order to connect the OP7. It is the OP7 that does all the communication, the PLC5 is "passive" in this respect.

The only alteration to the PLC5 project, is possibly to arrange all alarms or messages in datawords that corresponds to the "area pointers" that you set up in the OP7.
These work in the simple way, one bit = one alarm, or one bit = one message.

off Topic

Jesper

I have to say i have read many of your post on siemens plc and opcs and must say i am very impressed............!

Hopefully one day when i am having trouble with siemens (i normally only use AB) i will be able to call on your expertise!

Thanks in advance

I forgot to specify the cable connection. I have it for RS422. It is different for RS232 (check it out yourself).
The cable is for OP25/OP27, but I suspect an OP7 to be connected in the same way.

OP25 (OP7)                                   PLC5 plc.
Port: IF1B (RS422) Port: RS422 (channel 0).
Connector: Sub-D9 (male) Connector: Sub-D25(male)

Signal Pin no. Pin no. Signal
+Rxd 4 --------------------------------- 14 -Txd
-Rxd 9 --------------------------------- 2 +Txd
+Txd 3 --------------------------------- 16 -Rxd
-Txd 8 --------------------------------- 3 +Rxd
Gnd 5 --------------------------------- 7 Gnd

A little important note: In the setup of PLC5 channel 0, specify error detection to "BCC", not "CRC".

Here are two more things that might be helpful.
1. I could not get the non-Siemens protocols in ProTool until I 'un-integrated' it from Step 7. Use the program "Protool Setup" to change the Step 7 integration setting. There should be shortcut to it in your Windows Start Menu in the Simatic\ProTool directory. After I did this, I could then choose a driver other than Profibus or MPI from ProTool.

2. ProTool has example projects for integrating TPs and OPs with other processors. In your case, there is an example OP7 and PLC5/20 project with both the PLC ladder logic (AF5 format) and OP7 project. ProTool installed this on my PC in the following path "\Siemens\ProTool\SAMPLES\AB_PLCDF".

This should work. I'm working with a ControlLogix PLC and TP270. There are not examples of this, but I'm getting them to work together.

Im'ike,

just in case you havent figured it out by now (most probably you have), the big "trick" to get a Siemens OP/TP/MP to talk to a ControlLogix is to map tags in the ControlLogix as "PLC5" type tags.

ControlLogix to Siemens TP270 Communications

Thanks Jesper. Yes, I did get it figured out and the tag mapping was the key.

In case anyone else cares, here's how I did it.

In RSLogix 5000, from the "Logic" drop down menu, select "Map PLC/SLC Messages..." Then map the ControlLogix tag name to the external devices file number. Here are three window images (map, tags, and logic) from a ControlLogix test project I created. I kept the tag names (B3 and N7) 'SLC-ish' for the example and it went well with the ProTool file numbers. The online help is pretty good at explaining the map function.

Also, here are three images (tag list and parameters) from ProTool for the same test.

I used an RS-232 serial cable (pin 2 to 3 crossover) to connect the ControlLogix processor to the IF 1A port on the TP270.

clxtp27080.jpg