OT - Terminating Field Devices

brucechase

Since there has been several of these types of how (or what) do you do for this, I thought I would ask something that I've been curious about. How do you terminate a field device?

My system has over 1000 photoeyes, 200 prox switches, and countless PB, switches, and solenoid valves. My question pertains to the photoeyes and prox switches. The current way is to run to a FS box and crimp the quick connect cable to the field wires using "bullets" NOT butt splices (see image). The original installation used sleeveless connectors with a rubber boot that snaps over the splice.

bullets.jpg

I try to use small terminal blocks in connecting field devices in junction boxes or conduit outlet bodies. They take a little more room, but they are tight connections and make disconnecting for service or replacement easier. I use the little white ones from Radio Shack or Panduit.