Modbus

GregPLC

Quick question: I have a system where I'm adding a ProSoft MVI46-MCM modbus card to a SLC rack with a 5/04 processor. This will communicate to a chart recorder I'm installing. I don't have Modbus experience with the SLC platform. This card won't eat up a comm. channel on the 5/04 will it? (CH1 or CH0), because those are both currently being used by other devices. (I don't think it will)

Greg

Thanks, Tom, that's what I assumed from my initial research on this so far. I've got the card in hand, and I'll have plenty of bench time at my desk with it before it's needed, so it shoulnd't be too bad. If it's like all other Prosoft products I've dealt with, it's well documented and relatively straightforward. They've even written a lot of sample code for it. I'll post any known issues or "oh yeahs" I have with it. I was origionally going to do a Modbus-to-SLC integration 4 months ago or so, but that project got pushed to a later date.

Thanks again,

Greg

You need to set up a Integer data table for the card configuration. And beware, I saw someone get burned by this, you need to set aside space for both read and write blocks even if you're not going to use both of them.

Thanks for the input.....I'll be sure to set up data table space for both.....I'm glad you pointed it out, I'm only doing a dumb broadcast to the recorder, no feedback from it. I will set aside room for the BTR's as well.

Thanks again,

Greg