"new" equipment update

danatech

many of the machines have arrived "in-house" this week, and i've been busy putting together a priority list, based on production requirements, of what machines need to be online first. based on the knowledge level of the other electrical techs, and myself, of the variety of controllers in these machines, i've been allowed to bring in an "Integrator" to help us get through this mess. we have modicon, seimens, omron, fuji, and an old t.i. that we aren't familar with, (we use almost exclusively A-B). the old toshiba laptop that contained some programming software for the omron c200 controller on the 150 ton press is junk, (bad harddrive and some keys not functioning. i think its been wet). about half of the floppies containing program files and programming software were apparently stored on the world's biggest magnet, so they're going to make good coffee cup coasters.
the integrator is coming today, and if he can't access the omron controller on the big press, then my first task is to replace the omron with a 5/04 slc. that'll keep me busy for a while. ;)
some of the smaller machines are getting refitted with micrologix 1200's, and we're replacing some of the motor drives with powerflex drives.
been a helluva week, and it doesn't look to get much better in the near future. but, i guess you could call it "job security". i've already got 64 hours in this week, and this is only friday. i still have to work today as well as this weekend. the "old ball and chain" loves it though, she's already planning a shopping trip with our daughter. :rolleyes:

more to come later,

grouch

There is absolutely no reason why the program in the C200H cannot be accessed, with the right interface and software, or an of the other PLCs for that matter. The biggest problem I see is that the programs extracted will not contain comments etc.

Hope you have print outs so that they can be commented back to the original state!!!!

Danatech,
It sounds like you have a plan! That is sometimes the hardest part, and even then plans do change rapidly don't they! I have been monitoring your progress as I too have had equipment arrive this week. So far I have found SLC 5/01, 5/02,5/03/and 5/04 racks, a few 9030 GE racks, a 9070 GE rack, Genius Buss communications, DeviceNet,
and not all of the cabinets are here yet. It does get the adrenilin going trying to figure out not only the original layout but how much do we want to incorporate into our application. We are going to be marrying two machines into one, incorporating only portions of the controls of each, and to further complicate things parts of the equipment has DC drives, part has 480 volt vfds, part has 240 volt vfds, AND part has 575 volt vfds! What a mess! And of course there are the "Production Deadlines". Great success to your endeavors!!!
Horned Toad
P.S. Does anyone U.S. actually use 575 volts anymore?

thanks for the encouragement guys, and toad, i'm fairly well versed in the slicks as well as devicenet. if i can help you on any of these just post your needs.

later,

grouch

ps; as far as your question about 575 volts, no, i don't think anyone uses that here except maybe in the mining or railroad industry. thats a canadian standard i think. (not sure)

Last edited: