PDAs - Can They Display Logic?

Will RSLogix or Directsoft PLC programing software run on a pocket PC like the Dell Axim? I wouldn't expect to be able to use it to actually program, or even connect to the PLC, but rather use it instead of paper prints.

I guess I can see a problem already - installing RSLogix. Are there programs that can bring up on a PC screen RSLogix PLC programs other than RSLogix?

I think it would be so cool have the logic diagrams in my pocket.

I'm also trying to justify spending $500 for something that, at the moment, is going to replace a $20 Dayrunner.

Thank you for your time and help;
Frank

Iam not expert in PC networking, but if you are connected to "real PC" which has RSLogix or any other PLC software, you can just use your PDA as a remotecontrol.

RA has also something like RSPocketLogix, but I think it's only for PLC5. I am sure that someone here knows that better.

Otherwise answer should be NO.

PocketLogix was bundled w/a Hewlett-Packard PDA. It will not work w/Palm-OS devices because it was a Windows CE product. It supported RSLogix 5, 500 and Drive Explorer. It didn't really take hold in the market and I'm not sure if it is still available.

Frank,

I use a program called Repligo on my Dell Axim. Basically any file you can print can be displayed on thhe PDA using this program. I have put AutoCad and PLC files on my Axim. If you have a printer with an infrared port you can even print from the PDA.

Randy

Caan Pocket PC's can display PDF files? If so then PDF995 could be used to convert the output (on the normal computer) to a PDF then transfer that to the Pocket PC.

[Edit] Actually I see that at Adobe they do have Acrobat Reaader for Pocket PC's for free.

Last edited:
I'd rather chew on aluminum foil whilst being dragged naked through a cactus patch than program a plc on my Pocket PC, but I would almost sacrifice an appendage to be able to access and modify data tables via my Axim's IR port.

Just some experiments on using PDF files. Be sure to set the bit display format as 'single line' so the entire reference is on one line. Then the entire address is searchable using the Acrobat Reader 'find' function. Philadelphia Frank did mention that he just wanted to see the logic, not actually program or otherwise affect the running program. So no chewing aluminum foil or dealing with cacti. Should work with all the PLC 'print' outputs. Now seeing anything meaningful on those tiny screens is another thing.

Thank You For The Help

Thanks for all the help. The PDF idea seems like a very good solution.
I should have my Axim in a few days and I'll give it a whirl.

Thank you all again for the help;
Frank

Something to keep in mind. The pocket Acrobat reader works best with documents that are saved in a manner that displays best with the pocket version. I wanted to keep the SLC instruction set pdf on my PDA but found it would only be useful in a real pinch, not so much as a quick and easy reference.