plc 500/ panelview comms

Lori

I am trying to establish communications between a plc 500 with 5/04 processor and a panelview 600 using dh+/. I can communicate between my pc and the panelview and between my pc and the plc independently. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Questions:
How are you connecting to the devices and your PC?
What type of cabling are you using between the PLC and the Panelview?
What are the node addresses of each?
How far apart are the two DH+ devices?
What baud rate are you trying to use?
What terminating resistor?

Give us a little more information, and we'll try to help you out?

To add to (reinforce) Ken's comments, the PV will default to node 2. You must tell the PV what node(s) to look for.

Last edited:
Thanks Rube, forgot about that.
Also, the SLC will be Node 1 by default.
In the panelview, you have to define the nodes that the panelview will be connected with. I believe it's in the communication setup. You will have to give the node a name, it doesn't have to match the processor name, but if you keep the same name, it can avoid confusion in the future.

Thanks for your help. I am connected to the devices through com1 using an rs232 cable. I have 2 different drivers set up- one for each connection, and I can't talk to both at the same time, I have to unplug one to attach the other. I will be using dh+ from the plc to the panelview.
As for the node addresses and the baud rate, I am not sure what would be appropriate. Assuming I set up the node addresses in the panelview, where do I need to go to see if the other devices are set up correctly? I don't know what you mean by "terminal resistor". Also, can you tell me if I need to set up my program for read/write or for messenger (I believe this is the correct terminology) and how this is to be done?

Sounds like you need to read the online tools from AB regarding DH+ comms, but here's what you need to know right now.

There will be a programming cable for the SLC and one for the PV. I don't have the cable numbers with me right now.
Your 5/04 already has a node address (likely 1, as Ken noted above). Your PV defaults to node address 2 and you can confirm (or change) this by looking in the comms setup in the Panelbuilder32 software. Your wiring between the PLC and the PV will not be 232 cable but a 3 wire shielded cable connect to Channel 0 on the SLC and to the DH+ connector on the PV. A resistor is recommended on the "last" DH+ connection terminal. If you only have these two items connected by DH+, the resistor will go on the PV. I'm not at work and I don't remember the resistor specs but you can easily find them out, or I will post tomorrow when I get to work.
Lastly, when you build your application in Panelbuilder32, you will need to tell the PV the node address(es) of the other component(s) on the DH+. The name of the application will be whatever you want to call it (with very few exceptions).
As far as addressing the objects in Panelbuilder, I can post some helpful items on the forum tomorrow as well.
Holler if you need more help. I just installed a new PV and built it's application on Tuesday of last week and I can answer most questions you might have.

Last edited: