OT Windows explorer question.

elevmike

For the life of me I know that this can be done but I cant figure/remember how??

I want to select a group of files in windows explorer to move to a different folder. Rather then drag one at a time, I know theres a way to select a spicific group using the mouse and keyboard to do this.

I went to windows help but couldnt find the answer.

Any ideas???

If the group of files are all in a row, click the first file, then hold shift and click the last file in the group. All of the files you want should be selected, and you can drag them from there.

If you want to select multiple files that are not in a row (i.e., there are files you don't want to copy in between), then hold the control key while you left-click the files you want to copy. Hold the control key while you drag, and the selected files will be copied.

SHIFT + Mouse drag/click is to group the whole lot of files from where your selection first to last selected.

Ctrl + Mouse drag/click is to group selected individual files or seperate groups of files.

Ctrl + 'A' is to select all in the window frame or text box.

Hope it helps. ;)

regards
Sherine T.

Addition note: I'm a tad bit too late in my post. :p

So many ways to "skin a cat"

You can also drag a window (click in the white area in the top left and hold down button to bottom right) this will highlight all files inside of the window.

You can drag a crossing window (click on right hand side and drag left) this will select everything within the window and anything the lines of the rectangle cross.

Once highlighted just right click anywhere over the highlighted area and cut or copy then go to destination area and right click in the white area and click paste.