Passwords & DirectLogic 440

csanchez

Hi...

If I forget the :confused: password of a DirectLogic 405 PLC...

--- Is there a way to reset the password to 00000000? (If the answer is yes) Am i gonna lose the program and settings and i have to reload the PLC?

--- Can I look the program i made without knowing the password?

I need to make a small modification in a running ESD PLC and also want to increase a little bit the security and I would like to know the consequences of the password thing.

Thanks all.

csanchez,

I understand that for the Direct Logic PLCs, you have to send them back to the manufacturer to get the password reset. There probably is some method to reset them, but it is not in the public domain. For the Allen-Bradley PLCs, there is a master reset password that deletes the existing program and allows you to download a new one.

If the password is lost to a Directlogic PLC, the PLC must be sent in to AutomationDirect. AutomationDirect will clear the password free of charge. The password clearing process does involve clearing the program and user memories, so you should have a backup of the program if possible.

There are three levels of password protection available.

1. None
2. Program locked, User memory accessable(Password starts with a "A" followed by seven numbers)
3. All memory locked

So the only way you can see the ladder is with option 1, no password protection.

icky,

What I'd really like to see or have is the option of allowing one to view the program but not make changes. This would allow us to let the customer view the program for troubleshooting purposes on a compleated unit, but protect eveybody from them making program changes.

Next firmware revision????

csanchez, I think I can help you, but I've never worked with the 405 series PLC's... I know I can recover the PW for a 205 given the CPU and enough time...

marksji said:
csanchez, I think I can help you, but I've never worked with the 405 series PLC's... I know I can recover the PW for a 205 given the CPU and enough time...

Lets see 8 digits x E10. Sooo How long does it take to try 100,000,000 posabilities? Given enough time....

Mark,

I could purchase about 6 cpus for what it would cost me to have a tech do that.. unless the pasword turned out to be 100...

Anyway I just now thought that it might be possable to run a script to do it automatically. I'm not going to bother with it, but I'd bet it could be done.

elevmike said:
I could purchase about 6 cpus for what it would cost me to have a tech do that.. unless the pasword turned out to be 100...

Actually I've got a cute litte software program that does it for me... Just ties up a computer while its running :D

Actually I've got a cute litte software program that does it for me... Just ties up a computer while its running

Perhaps out next firmware release should include the "24 hour lockout after 3 incorrect attempts" feature. ;)

Andy

Andy,

If the password could be alpha & numeric & case sensitive... mark will have is computer tied up for weeks....

Lets see...20 characters x E34 (lower case only) = 171798691840000000000000000000000000000000000 possabilities... Now add upper and lower case......

Mike,
Long odds, would not want to bet on those. The master password feature sounds good where it deletes all and restarts the CPU but has anyone ever seen a case where this was used in an unintended mannor?
Thinking someone who just wanted to cause a disruption?

Andy

elevmike said:
If the password could be alpha & numeric & case sensitive... mark will have is computer tied up for weeks....

But its only 8 and all 0-9 except the first which can be 0-9 or A. I'd love an alpha-numeric that allowed at least a-z and 0-9...