SQL Database

Hardwerk

I'm fixing to start a project of using an RSVIEW terminal to monitor several process lines. (No more then 500 i/o on each line)

I have a situation of not being able to decide which route to take. I want the information dumped to a SQL database. My question is, how do i do this, and what is the best way to interface with the database.

My first idea was to dump everything into a MySQL database (b/c it's free) and then display it w/ a custom built PHP based interface that can be utilized from any web browser on the network. (private ip access)

The second idea was to utilize my friends at Rockwell Software and use their prog called RSHistorian which is part of this RSBizware suite. I unfortunetly don't know much about Historian but know that it is predesigned and i would just have to deal w/ a learning curve which probably wouldn't be that extensive.

Anybody have any experience w/ this RSHistorian? My client has about $15k to spend on the programming side of this. Another $15k to spend on the hardware/software. (amazing how much easier it is to plan for something when a client tells you how much they have to spend)

I also am curious as to how the information gets into the database. Does historian read file that is sent to it? Does it some how communicate with RSView? How would i get this information into my MySQL database?

I am hoping you guys can get me the quick answer so i don't have to spend too much time hunting it down.

I've just been informed about how in depth RSView takes it's TrendX anybody know about using it?

Last edited:
hardwerk,
Kind of depends on what data you are recording, and how you want to display it. I just had a RSBIZWARE training class in December. I am still trying to get a grip on all the Database stuff that is involved. Needless to say, I am just a beginner and not an expert in any way. Bizware uses the Micro$oft version of SQL along with Rockwell's RSSQL. I guess the main thing is that once the data is in the datebase, There is no end to what you can do with it.
Bizware is designed to build charts and Historian is used to build trend graphs. RSView is able to dump data into a database file without any addons. It is called DataLog. You will need a way to pull the data out of RSviews datalog file (.mdb) and make something useful out of it though.
My company mostly wants to record the number of faults a particular machine has and their durations. Maintenance personel will take the data and attempt to correct the problems. In my opinion RSView is better for production tracking and or control of machinery, while Historian and Bizware are better at fault logging. In my plant Historian is hooked to the BIZWare application. I am not sure how it would work with Historian hooked up to RSView.
RSBizware has a built in Web server and reports are HTML based. Ideal for sharing over a network.
I highly recommend the RSBIZware class if you decide to go down that road. The software is VERY complicated.

Goodluck
Tony

Just like to add that you do not need any addon to RSView to write/read from an Access or SQL Database. The built-in VBA is all you need, however, if you have no experience with Visual Basic Database functions, things can get ugly.

Keeping that budget in mind, it might be tight to squeeze in a Bizware Historian, depending on how many data points you may have (several lines with 500? how many is "several" will add to the cost of Historian).

You could however use just RSSql and get the data from either RSView (32 or SE) or from any OPC Server and dump it into any database. If you use the latest SQL Server along with its Reporting Services, you could create basic reports from SQL reports easily and it could fit into your budget.

great thanks

after further research after making that post i have come across alot of the same information you guys have posted about.

great amount of thanks goes to you guys, i believe i'm going to try to use the datalogger that is already in RSView to start off with. If this gets just the least bit harry i'm going to go w/ just dumping everything into a MySQL db and display it probably via php.

thanks again guys.

Great!

it went really well. they got a custom interface built to their specifications and everything ran like a dream after strangling rockwell a few times.

they are very happy and just keep adding to it's capabilities.

I have several other customers who have implemented it as well. they love being able to lay it out excactly as they want.