Door Protection

userxyz

Hi,

A manager in our factory wants door protections.

I have drafted the thing he wants in a jpg file. He said that this thing exists. But where can we find it ??

Function: When u turn one the wheel, the door can be unlocked => then the contact is open.

Thanks

Combo

dirk.jpg

But will you need to power up for testing?

Motorola used to have a nifty door switch on their high power (READ high voltage) base stations. It was a spring loaded plunger switch, when the door was closed,so was the HV contacts. To work on the unit with the HV power on, you simply reached up and pulled the plunger "out" an inch or so, and it would maintain, to kill it, you simply pushed it back in. When closing the door, it would push the plunger back in, killing the power, until the door was fully closed (and held shut with a key lock, or brick)when the plunger would be all the way in, and cuase the switch to be closed again.

It was always fun to send a new tech in to work on one of those units, and they usually didn't notice if you reached up and pulled the plunger out. "What do you mean it stopped working, looks fine to me". I used to get to train most of the rookies, they were more fun then the traffic signal kids.

McMaster-Carr used to sell the dual action plunger switches, and still might. Local motorola radio repair shop may have some, too.

regards.....casey

I used to get to train most of the rookies, they were more fun then the traffic signal kids.

I generally started out with kids that knew even less than this. That, quite frankly, was a bonus. They knew nothing and thought they knew nothing by the time the interview was over.

The most important thing I looked for was the ability to think outside the square, along with an electrical trade as an electrical fitter with control and trouble shooting experience.

Standard question - In Canada they were having trouble with ice forming on HV overheads and pulling the overheads down when enough ice built up in winter. How would you solve this problem?

Most of them thought the same way I thought the first time I came across this in a course. Add resistance to create heat and melt the ice etc etc. The simple answer was fly a helicopter over the overheads before dawn and before the ice melted and re-froze causing an ice build up and enough weight to pull the cables down.

This was a true story years ago by the way. Only ever found one kid that could answer the question correctly. He got the job.