newbies

WwIDGIEwW

I'm new to this site, but I've been working with PLC's for almost 10 years. I started programing with function keys, and am now playing with ControlLogix. I guess I learned through a lot of trial and torment, but I've obviously missed something. I see a lot of comments on this site like "the project must be due tomorrow." Are there college courses out there that teach PLC's and the students come here for help, or is there a wave of newly hired programmers that I should be wary of?

Welcome!

There are a lot of colleges out there that actually do teach plc's. Then there are some that give assignments, and those come here for their traffic light, flip flop, and other basic programs.

You can learn a lot by clicking on the learn plcs button above. Also the tape and book come highly recommended.

Several brands of plcs have catalogs and on-line manuals that provide excellant training. Factory and Distributor schools were plentiful (and free) when I learned. Now they are high priced.

Some of the strange posts you see are new programmers, Some are NOT so new. Some are really obvious students.

ControLogix is rough on some people, but there is a lot of assistance here.

I, however, am limited to AB older stuph, and the simpler newer stuph. I am most familiar with GE Fanuc, Moeller, and Entertron. I have used over twenty brands of plc's, some only a couple times. These iclude Koyo/Automation Direct, Allen Bradley, Cutler-Hammer, Reliance, Sixnet, Opto 22, Omron, IDEC, TRI, Keyance, Panasonic, Modicon, Mitsubishi, Siemances, and on. Several I will never touch again.

Having a good background in Allen Bradly is something excellant to have. With it, other software is sometines easier to understand, and where ever you go, someone nearby will be using AB.

best regards.....casey

Last edited:
WwIDGIEwW said:
...is there a wave of newly hired programmers that I should be wary of?...

Some people could fall from there second floor balcony and survive then thinck they could join the circus in an high diving act.

Go figure!

Hiya, welcome.

... there are *interesting* post here almost as long as I been around this board. However, i only learned recently not to respond to those traffic light/hot dog machine posts. What can I say, I'm a slow learner. But there have been a few students who stuck around and made this a career.

----- I remember in the late 90s anyone who can spell PLC got offered a job. Now I have to work on fixing these people's code. Job security in the most ironic sense :D

HOT DOG MACHINE ?? HOT DOG

Harry

Have not been on this site for very long. Have seen the traffic lites and the washer posts asking for help but never a hot dog machine.

What is that all about ?? Any suggestions on how to use this for a project at school??

Dan Bentler

HOT DOG thread

Went looking for it and found it.

Probably about the same time as you posted.

Was this (the initial post) a spoof ??

Otherwise I found a lot of good advice in the procedure that was proposed for taking on and finishing a project.

Found a lot of good humor too.

Dan Bentler