Siemens PLCs

Ken J

I'm starting a new job and my first project will involve
programming a small Siemens PLC. I have done plenty of
AB SLC and Toshiba T1 programming. Can anyone advise me
on the best way to come up to speed on the Siemens line
of small PLCS. I'm not sure the model number, however, since
I haven't started my new job. I believe it may be a step 2000.
Thank you.

Probably a Step-7 200. These are actually quite nice and are quite intuitive. If you're used to PLC's in general they won't be much of a problem.

Here's the manual for the entire line. It's probably the best manual Siemens has ever done.

I just can't resist saying that the reason that the S7-200 is so nice and intuitive (compared to any other Siemens controller, including the S7-300 & S7-400) is because the S7-200 is a miniaturized knock-off of the TI-505. The S7-200 was developed by TI (under some other name) before Siemens bought out the TI line.

If you can hear sobs... it's just me... cryin' in my MGD.

Are you sure about that Terry? I used the Siemens S7-200 back in about 1994, long before TI was bought out by Siemens. In fact, I don't think there is any product overlap at all. They simply slapped the Siemens name on the TI processors.

Now that I think about it, you're probably right Ken. Time sure flies.

But I still wasn't aware that it had TI roots. Then again, I haven't used the 200 since that first project, and I only have faint recollections about the instruction set.

I've had a look round the Internet, and while I can't find anything definite, I found several comments of the "when Siemens bought TI about 5 (or 7 or 10 or whatever) years ago" and looking at when they were made, it looks as though the purchase was in 1992.

I looked around a little bit, and found these two snippets. I now remember using the "MicroDos" software, and it wasn't too bad for a little brick PLC. I don't think I've ever used the MicroWin....:

There is a bit of history behind the Microwin software. Originally, the hardware was designed by the old TI team in the States, but the software was supposed to come from Germany from the same team that was writing Step-7. The software was late..... (the Step-7 project itself was disastrously late). Eventually the hardware team gave up on ever seeing any software, so they quickly cobbled together first the MicroDos, and then the original MicroWin software as an interim solution. This new software is probably what should have been originally available (I don't know which team it was written by).
The TI 300 series was made by Koyo. When Siemens bought TI's PLC division, they sold it for a few years as the Simatic-TI. Koyo now sells these PLCs themselves, including over the internet as Automation Direct. I believe that GE used to sell these PLCs before TI did. So the history was GE, then TI, then Siemens, and now Koyo directly (as Automation Direct). Siemens developed the S7 series as an entirely new product range, with no connection to the products which Koyo sold. The S7-200 series covers the lower end product range which the Koyo PLCs used to fill for TI (and Siemens). The S7-300 is a completely new product which covers the lower to mid range.