EvMove

ELarsen

Greetings Gents, I had a problem when using the move key activation. I moved it from a Win98 computer just fine and put it on a WinXP SP2 computer. So far so good. I was able to use my RSLogix software to open up some ladder logic. Then when I went to take it off the Win XP puter, it gave me the following msg...Cannot move activation to a non master disk in Win NT. I dont have Win NT. I have the masters so I could take the key activations that way, but I have to use 4 disks to complete the task. By the way I put the keys on the original move onto a blank floppy. I was just experimenting. Did I make a faux pas of some sort? Thanks in advance.

Ed

Call Rockwell Techsupport - they will help you - worst case they will reset your activation.
By the way I put the keys on the original move onto a blank floppy
As far as I know, you can't move activation to a blank floppy, only back to the original Master disk.

Whilst there are many was to circumvent it ;) the idea behind the Rockwell activations is just as Contr_Conn has stated it; the activation "moves" from its Master Disk to your hard drives and back, not to any other removable media.

Actually you COULD move the activation files to any floppy with EVMOVE. This worked with Win 95 and Win 98.
From Win NT and up this is no longer supported.

If using the floppies is too cumbersome for you, then get a small USB harddisk, EVMOVE will move the licenses back and forth between that one without problems.
NOTE: It wont work with a USB FLASHDISK. It is marked as "removable media" by the system, and EVMOVE refuses to move the license to removable media.
Why a USB harddisk isnt "removable media" I dont know.

i was told you can only move an activation to a non-master disk on a W95 system. not too sure about 98 but when i tried it it didn't work. EVMOVE regards all other platforms as NT. you should be able to move it onto a network drive, i.e. connect up a laptop, as this should not be regarded as removable media. i was going to mention flash pens but jesper beat me to it.

if you are confident and there's room, you could create a new partition on the xp machine and install 95/98. the activation can move from one partition to the other easily.

Last edited:
I am toying with the idea of putting the activations on the network. Right now I dont have an account with our server and the IT people are not so quick to help sometimes. Our IT people are the VP's of the company, true story. Thanks for all of your assistance.

Ed

It can be done

Go to ab's website here http://www.ab.com/versaview/faq.html

Download the EvMove utility from the 5th Q&A. This file is actually called EvMoveCF and will let you move your activations to a flash memory card or a non-master floppy from any windows OS.

Since this is a move utility and not a copy I don't see a problem with it being used for that purpose.

Many people do not want to carry their master disk around subjecting them the harsh abuse which could make reseting them impossible.

Keep them in a safe place in case you do need a reset.

I have moved my activations to my memory stick and use it instead of floppy's, when you open an AB product that needs an activation it will look to your floppy drive and then to your flash drive (USB) also, no need to move it from the flash media.

Bill