micrologix 1000 software?

bryanadmin

Hello all,
I am a newbie to the world of plc's so excuse me if this sounds stupid. We are modifying some equipment here at work at came across a AB micrologix 1000 , is the rslogix 500 software the only one capable communicating and manipulating this device?

bryanadmin

I am not an AB expert, but I have the ML1000 in my home.

You asked:
...is the rslogix 500 software the only one capable communicating and manipulating this device?

Do you mean by "communicating and manipulating": programming?
If so, then the answer is Yes, RS500 is the only software that can be used for ML1000 programming, and note that you need RSlinx too foe establishing the communication.

Last edited:
ayman metwally

I was afraid of that. What is the use of a plc if the only people that can interact with it is the people that have the software and special cables required. I sure as heck dont want to spend $1000 bucks to change a couple of ladder lines. I cannot believe that there is no kind of universal software to communicate to plc's , that simply requires a driver for each unique device.

bryanadmin

gbradley

What does 10 point mean? Does that mean 10 total I/O points?I have downloaded that software but i havn't had a chance to try anything yet , since the next step is for me to purchace the $60 cable to talk to it.

bryanadmin

Yes If you want to use that one, buy the software.
You could buy a couple of 10 point on Ebay.
By the time you're finished messing around with getting two Plc's coordinated, you can probably pay for the software. ;)

there's "starter" ... and then there's "starter" ...

the FREE "starter" version of RSLogix500 will ONLY program the small 10-point MicroLogix ...

the FULL version of RSLogix500 will handle all of the SLC-500 processors ... and all of the MicroLogix processors ... and will allow "online" programming IF (big if) the processor supports it ... (and incidentally yours won't) ... the last time I checked, this was selling for about $1,100 ...

there is also another STARTER version of RSLogix500 which will handle all of the MicroLogix processors ... the last time I checked, this was selling for $499 ... this has some limitations (it won't do "online" programming, etc.) but it will PROBABLY answer all of your immediate needs ...

Ron Beaufort

As I said earlier " What is the use of a plc if the only people that can interact with it is the people that have the software and special cables required."

bryanadmin

even if you use a Personal computer you would require the source codes to manipulate the compiled program realistically its the same problem on a PC as it is on a PLC. When you get right down to it a PLC is easier to retrieve a program that you do not have the original source codes for.

What is the use of a plc if the only people that can interact with it is the people that have the software and special cables required.

in most cases, once the people with the software and the special cables have programmed the PLC, it becomes just another part of the machine it controls ... then unless there is some change to the machine’s operation, there is USUALLY no reason to change the PLC’s program ...

so in other words, the “use” of the PLC is to control the machine’s operation ...

note: I’m sorry if this sounds facetious ... I assure you that’s not what I had in mind ... but you’ve asked (twice now) a very simple question ... I’m trying to give you a very simple answer ...

by the way ... have you checked the forum's Private Message box lately? ... I sent you an offer to try to help you (for free) by phone ... if you want to take me up on that offer, then you'll have to move quickly ... I'm only available for another ten minutes or so ...

I cannot believe that there is no kind of universal software to communicate to plc's

Well bryanadmin, We can always dream of good things, but the truth will still the truth, even it's bad.

I really understand your situation, Why don't you search in your (factory/plant/office) for the software?
If they programmed the PLC once, then they got the software.

mordred

Well it's not necessarily the compiled program , it's the data that is associated with the program.

ex. not notepad but the .txt file

These PLC program prices are crazy.

PLC programs can't be that complicated.

bryan