Can anyone recommend a simple Barcode Scanner?

Can anyone recommend a simple Barcode Scanner?

I will be using port 2 of AD 260 CPU and I only need to scan a 7 digits Barcode number into variables starting at V3000. This simple application has no need to send anything to the Barcode itself just receive from it.

Can anyone recommend a brand of Barcode Scanners, (no wand or gun style but instead a fixed unit), able to easily integrates with the AD 260 CPU?

Thanks All

Andy

Almost any barcode scanner will be sending ASCII characters for which you will use the appropriate ASCII input commands. There are also commands available to change the recieved sequence of characters into a number. Check to see if the available commands can convert a 7 digit number. If the barcodes are of standard type an with good contrast then lower level readers should be able to do the job. We have used scanners from Datalogic with good results.

some brands I know & have used

Datalogic, Accusort, Erwin SICK, etc... I have used several models of the previous listed brands through serial link, device net and profibus DP without problem. Barcode scanner are fully programmable and since none of the brands mentioned have their plc system (or at least that I am aware of) the manufacturers put every effort to make their product talk all the major field bus (i.e. Devicenet and profibus DP) along with serial.

If you are having problems reading a barcode, I suggest you:
(1) Find out what encoding method is used. Digits orientation (i.e. picket fence), number of digits, prefix, suffix, checking digits, etc ... in other words, make sure you understand what and how information is presented.
(2) Once step (1) is been done, the scanner should be configured for reading the labels.

Some manufacturer give away free software for creating labels (barcodes) which can be used for testing the configuration on the scanner. A trial can be set up by creating few barcodes, connecting the scanner to the serial port of your computer (assuming that there is a serial port) and using hyper terminal for windows (ASCII interface) ... if the scanner was configured right you should get the proper reading in your screen.

Cheers,
LJAM

Microscan 860s are a good, inexpensive, easy to setup scanner ttat we use in four different locations here where I work ( ASCI and match-read). I love them.

Sorry Anibal--

I use AB 5/04 processors and go into the Channel 0 port (or use an off-board I/O box). I have no experience with AD at all.

As far as the scanner's config, the manual is really well written and the setup software (free) is sent with each scanner.