Measure pulses/sample - Accuracy

dandrade

I have another solution that is based on timing a number of pulses but solves the problem of the measurement period increasing as the speed of the pulses falls. It has only really become viable now that we have fast PLCs with floating point maths . Decide on an ideal sample time, say 1 second. Give the system a start number of pulses to count, say 50. Time how long it takes to reach this set point using a high speed counter, interrupt and a millisecond timer. The result is unlikely to be 1 second so use the error between ideal sample time and actual sample time to calculate a new set point for the high speed counter. The accuracy of the system is no longer determined by the number of pulses received but by the accuracy of the PLC timer. The system will give the same results getting one pulse per second or 10,000 pulses per second.
Main about,influence variation frequency to effect variation precision. Please, dont know exact phases. Remenber,have method to correction, abandoned not get "more performance". Please describe more clear, method in top.Expose calculus , discusion method get "more performance and precision". (graphics or maths, easy get direct information :) )

Below is a graphic showing two different encoders, one gives 100 pulses per metre and the other 400 pulses per metre. If you needed an absolute measure of length then the 400 would be accurate to 2.5mm, the 100 would be to 10mm. So more pulses more accuracy in absolute measurement. But if you are measuring speed and the PLC can cause an interrupt after a specified number of pulses and has a 1ms timer then you get the same accuracy from both encoders, as shown below:

Pulses.jpg

Hopefully this explains what I meant by 'same results from one pulse or 10000 pulses'. I will take a little time to prepare an example of the maths and the set point recalculation.

Bryan