Writing an Integer Value from PV+ to PLC

Now I think this is quite a straight forward question for most.

However, I'm stuck.

How do I write an integer value to an AB SLC 5/04 without manually entering the value myself?

In other words, when I goto a screen it automatically writes the value to the destination. Sort of in the background.

I have multiple drives which, I want to access from one location (Control screen) so I am using parameters for this.

Gareth,

You can define a macro that writes the value you need into a tag addressed to your selected PLC register. If you right click on any display(screen) in your project and choose "Display Settings..." then go to the Behavior tab, you can call the macro from there. The macro will be executed every time you open that screen.

HTH,
Jeff

Thanks for the reply.

What you are saying is correct. I have done this before.

I possibly didn't make this clear in my thread, but I am using parameter files for individual drives to populate one screen with their relevant data.

So when I open the screen I want a unique value to be written for each drive.

I am going from one screen with a display list selector. When the drive is selected I am going to one screen which is populated using parameter files.

Sorry, its difficult to explain. Hope this makes my question more clear.

Don't know if I understand this correctly, but what I have done in the past is similar to the following:

Where you have your display selector, instead of switching to the new screen, reprogram your display selector to be a value selector. (Write different value to a PLC register depending on the drive selected). Now monitor this PLC register in the PLC. WHen the value of this register is other then zero, use the PLC and the Screen number tag (a tag the PLC can write to that selects the screen the PLC is supposed to display) to jump to the new screen. The PLC now allready "knows" the correct drive number. Once screen switch is complete (can be checked by setting up the PV to write current screen number to a PLC register), zero the screen selector tag (to allow navigation again from the PV), and zero the drive selector tag.

Hmmmmm... Never tried it with a panelview plus, but on the pv 550's there is a parameter which can tell the plc which screen is active. You may be able to link into a preset database based on which screen is active that way. Not using the panelview to send the number, just tell the plc which number to load. Not sure if the pv+ has that particular set of tags, however.

tom_stalcup said:
Hmmmmm... Never tried it with a panelview plus, but on the pv 550's there is a parameter which can tell the plc which screen is active. You may be able to link into a preset database based on which screen is active that way. Not using the panelview to send the number, just tell the plc which number to load. Not sure if the pv+ has that particular set of tags, however.

Tom,

PV+'s do have this feature, its in the system folder/global connections.

Martin,
Thanks.... I was pretty sure they would have this feature, but didn't know where to steer gareth to.

This is personal opinion but I am not sure I would use that method. Since you are using separate screens for each parameter then put the parameter value onscreen with press F1 or something to OK entering that parameter. This is kind of a validation for the operator to know the right parameter was entered.