Toyota ECU,sensors,relays,switches,motors RECYCLE - possible???

ianhs

I
I am a senior citizen newbie to PLCs though I can read basic and pascal, vb3, know ohms law. My 1st wish is to get low cost assembled kit, rig it up and ready to use. No such thing!
Then I may like to investigate its internals later. na (not applicable- unless you painstakingly get the tools, meters, oscilloscope, kits and DIY)

So I setout to look, and OMG, I am stumped - from z80...NS,microPic etc.. to lynix to cygwin, and now I am bogged with cygwin and cygwin/x installation, and wondering why having all this pain to get a look n feel of windows. Makes
MS Windows a class in its own, in the lynix,cygwin arena.

This PLC idea started when I open up a toyota crown 1984 efi module, the later ones arecalled ecu (electronic control unit) or the toyota onboard computer.

There are few toshiba ic's -
t2174b, t2175a, t2465, t2467.
(8legs), (8legs), (12legs), (8legs),
per side of the ic.

I search the net but was not able to find out more about this ICs, I think they are the microprocessor / eprom as such.

Is it possible to reprogram the EFI / ECU module to control exisiting automotive relays / switches /sensors / stepper motors etc ?

This can be used for backyard or farm projects to measure temperature, start
a pump, automate the cooks shed, foxes and vermins security..etc using wrecking / recycle parts.

Has anyone done something like this before, your comments are most appreciated.

Can it be done? Possibly
Is it practical? Probably not!
Would it work well? Probably not
Would it be inexpensive? NO!

I had a "buddy" who taught at the GE factory school. He did things like take apart the ABS braking module and repair it, moify it, put cannon connectors on it. He would buy something with an IC, then find what else was in the IC. A larger chip might have had a digital alarm clock, an electronic game, some industrial stuph, and others. We were amazed at the standard chips that could do so many different things, and there were scads of them. He showed us a drawing of a GE thick film module. It had probably a dozen or so pins. the drawing looked like a single huge transistor, with 10 bases, emmiters, and collectors coming out of it.

I have integrated ecu's from several different engine manufactures into generator sets, mining trucks, and locomotives. I have seen the changes to their charactoristics by changing a jumper or dip switch or two. the have a lot of capabilities.

However, in the long run, it is probably better, cheaper, and less frustrating to just buy a couple of real PLC's from eBay.

I can easily believe that your ecu could be modified, but after 40 years as an electronics hobbyist, I wouldn't attempt it.

regards.....casey

Last edited:
i agree with casey...

if you want to play with things the best option is to simply by cheap plc. if you want to play with electronics,
you might want to look into microcontrollers. i would recommend plcs so you don't have to worry about
conditioning i/o etc. just plug it in and it works.
I have couple really nice Zilog development kits but although i would love to i just don't have time to play...