modcon and mitsubishi questions...

monkeyhead

i have a mitsubishi controller with no software and a memory cassette that supposedly has a backup version of the plc program on it. i spent about half an hour searching the web and i can't find anything about what software package i need to get into the logic on this thing. anyone know the name of the package? i'm not at work, but i believe it's an FX series.

also... what kind of logic is modcon based on? i'm interviewing for a job right now, and the description mentioned modcon. i've never had to deal with them before. big difference from the standard RLL gig? i know i've seen the name here a few times, but none of the machines i'm working on now use them.

thanks to any of you fellers that feel kind enough to answer my lazy *** requests.

The Mitsi software would be GX Developer if the programming was done recently. If it is old enough, it may have been written using an earlier DOS based version of software called MEDOC. There is actually a generation between the 2, but for the life of me I can't remeber what it is called now.
GX would be able to upload a MEDOC program, but not the other way around. If your PLC is definitely a FX series, you can purchase a starter version of GX developer that only works for the FX family of PLCs.

I'll let somebody else field your other question...

Modicon is a brand name like Allen-Bradley, not a type of controller.

The most popular (but not the only) programming language for Modicon processors is 984 Ladder Logic (984LL).

If you are only slightly familiar with PLCs there is not much difference between what you call standard RLL and 984LL (yes there are quirks). However, if you are very well versed and fluent in either language, there are major differences between RLL and 984LL.