Exporting data logged from RSView32 trending

It's been a while since I worked wit RSView32. But as far as I remember...

Excel can easily open the .DBF files from RSView32's datalogs.
But RSView32 cannot log to a file that is opened by another application (like Excel). So you shouldnt open a datalog file that RSView32 needs to write to.

If you must look at the data concurrently with RSView32 writting to the log, it would require that you changed the datalog from type .DBf to ODBC. That in turn means that there must be an ODBC database setup on the local PC (or via a server).
Certainly doable, but not trivial.

edit:
Oh, a quick work-around could be to copy the .DBF file and then open the copied file with Excel.
But notice that there can be a "hickup" in RSView32s datalogging at the moment you copy the file. In other words you shouldnt do it if you cannot accept to lose some data.

Last edited:
JesperMP said:
It's been a while since I worked wit RSView32. But as far as I remember...

Excel can easily open the .DBF files from RSView32's datalogs.
But RSView32 cannot log to a file that is opened by another application (like Excel). So you shouldnt open a datalog file that RSView32 needs to write to.

If you must look at the data concurrently with RSView32 writting to the log, it would require that you changed the datalog from type .DBf to ODBC. That in turn means that there must be an ODBC database setup on the local PC (or via a server).
Certainly doable, but not trivial.

edit:
Oh, a quick work-around could be to copy the .DBF file and then open the copied file with Excel.
But notice that there can be a "hickup" in RSView32s datalogging at the moment you copy the file. In other words you shouldnt do it if you cannot accept to lose some data.

Thx for ur info :)

I'm not sure about ODBC database, it is a pre-installed software with windows xp/2k? I taught RSLinx OEM will do the trick right?

To have a trend you need to set up a data log in RSV32 and it is easier to use the wide format. You need to set up how and when it logs and how many tags in the model. The excel files give you a history and starting point for your trend. No need to look at excel when trend is running unless the log triggers are far apart. I hope i understood your question right.

George

GHO III said:
To have a trend you need to set up a data log in RSV32 and it is easier to use the wide format. You need to set up how and when it logs and how many tags in the model. The excel files give you a history and starting point for your trend. No need to look at excel when trend is running unless the log triggers are far apart. I hope i understood your question right.

George

Hi,

Thx for ur clarification. :)