1770-KFD Question

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi

Does the KFD need to be plugged into a devicenet network for RSLinx to find the KFD and register the driver for it ?

You should select the 1770-KFD driver (DeviceNet Driver) within RSLinx, this should then enable you to see the DeviceNet network using RSNetworx.

In order to see your devices you need to create a new project and select Online from Network Options. This should start browsing the devices attached to the DeviceNet network.

As far as I can recall, the 1770-KFD is a pure RS232 to DeviceNet Card and you will need RSNetworx, to configure the rest of the DeviceNet setup.

I am no expert in this, but that is my recollection, based upon trying to make stuff work in the field.

Anyone else feel free to correct/add/comment, I along with many here are always trying to learn.

Yes, the 1770-KFD needs to be plugged into a DeviceNet network with at least one other device before you can configure and start the RSLinx driver for it.

The reason is that the 1770-KFD needs to successfully complete a "Duplicate MAC ID Check" message on the network before it can verify that it's OK to start communicating at a particular data rate (125, 250, or 500 kb/s).

I use a 1784-PCD because I often need the analysis capability of the DeviceNet Traffic Analyzer, but I secretly like using it because I can also configure the driver before it is plugged in.

Ken Roach said:
Yes, the 1770-KFD needs to be plugged into a DeviceNet network with at least one other device before you can configure and start the RSLinx driver for it.

The reason is that the 1770-KFD needs to successfully complete a "Duplicate MAC ID Check" message on the network before it can verify that it's OK to start communicating at a particular data rate (125, 250, or 500 kb/s).

I use a 1784-PCD because I often need the analysis capability of the DeviceNet Traffic Analyzer, but I secretly like using it because I can also configure the driver before it is plugged in.

Thanks Ken, Thats what i imagined but never having used devicenet KFD b4 i wasnt sure

Cheers

Dave

Cable

Also make sure you have a fully wired nullmodem cable with the KFD.

simple 3 wire cables will not work

This took me a while to figure this out, lost original cable, none of my other cables would work, even store bought ones, until I made up a fully wired one, I initially thought the KFD module died (hadn't used it in years)

Re: Cable

USDutchman said:
Also make sure you have a fully wired nullmodem cable with the KFD.

simple 3 wire cables will not work

This took me a while to figure this out, lost original cable, none of my other cables would work, even store bought ones, until I made up a fully wired one, I initially thought the KFD module died (hadn't used it in years)

AB Advised me that the CP3 cable will work with it so thats what i will be using