PLC communications cable

wiley

Having a new laptop computer with only usb ports, no serial ports, I assumed I need only a usb to serial cable adaptor so I could connect up with the plc's within the factory I work in. I was told that for the adaptor to work, I would have to load drivers into the devices that I was trying to connect to. I was told this by someone at an electronics store. Should it work just fine without any drivers when trying to connect to a plc?

wiley said:
I was told that for the adaptor to work, I would have to load drivers into the devices that I was trying to connect to. I was told this by someone at an electronics store.

Yeah, those electronics store salespeople have a wealth of knowledge about PLCs... :rolleyes:

You'll find some good information about USB to serial in THIS thread... đź““

beerchug

-Eric

From my personal experience,If you use Omron PLCs do not use Gold X from AD.
It is total disaster the PC boot during On line without any reason.
PCIMCA is better option according to my opinion.