Barcode scanners

93lt1

We have a project coming up where 2 different barcode scanning stations are required.

The PLC is Micrologix 1500 with a Devicenet scanner for several other devices within the system. The Micrologix will also have a NET-ENI for an ethernet connection to a PC for datalogging and 2 Panelview +'s.

At each of the barcode scanning stations there will be a Panelview + 400 for verification/manual entry of bad barcodes.

We are looking to find the best way to get the 2 barcode scanner's data into the PLC.

This leaves us with an RS-232 port (the ML1500 is an LRP), DeviceNet, Ethernet, and a USB port on each of the Panelview+'s.

The requirements for the barcode scanners is that they have to be handheld type scanners, and they have to be capable of reading a "2D DATAMATRIX" type barcode. I would prefer to stick with a standard RS-232 or USB barcode scanner.

I know that there are several different ways to get the data to the PLC.

There are several devices that will convert a RS-232 (ASCII) device to ethernet.

I have found some SST devices that will allow a ASCII device to be a node on Devicenet.

Each barcode scanner could use USB to connect to the Panelview+ and I'm sure a macro could be written to send the string to the PLC upon read and clear out the textbox on the PV for the next read. The PV Macro could possibly also validate the barcode information.

Basically my question is, Does anyone have barcode experience in a situation similar to this where there are more than 1 barcode scanner and what did you do?

What are the pros and cons of each of the above possibilities?

Steve, thanks for the link. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

It says 2 serial ports, one can be configured <blah, blah> and one is RS-232 for downloading programs and configurations. I wonder if both can be used for ASCII data transfer over Dnet(RS-232).

Steve, do you remember a ballpark price for it?

On the topic of my question, I am curious if anyone has successfully used the USB port on a PV+ for anything other than a keyboard or mouse and the problems encountered?

In the unit with two serial ports, one port is strictly for downloading configuration data, the other is where you connect the barcode scanner. You can't connect two barcode scanners to one unit.

In the other unit, the second serial port is replaced by the interface to their rf antenna.

I never knew what they cost, but my understanding is that EMS hardware is rather pricey.

I also use the EMS CM11 units for this application and they have proven to be reliable and easy to use. Steve is correct in saying that they are quite expensive but you should also bear in mind that they do not need to be mounted inside an enclosure.

another possiblity is to go with 802.11 radio to a PC server SQL server works well then call that data to the PLC

93lt1

I have a similar application coming up. I need to connect several (at least two and up to five) hand held barcode scanners to a SLC -500 system. It is easy if you only have one!
I did some quick looking around at Accusort, Microscan and Datalogix but can seem to find details on the magic interface box to connect these devices. My preference is to use Ethernet to a SLC-5/05.
What kind of luck have you had in finding these interfaces?

Last edited:
I'm using 2 Microscan MS-820s (fixed not handheld) to a Micrologix 1500....it was the IB-131 interface module that allowed us to have a master/slave configuration. You can also trigger them serial or discrete. Since you wanted handheld, do you want cable or cableless? Microscan also has a bluetooth setup which we are using on another assembly fixture..I'm thinking you could use 2 of them off of one interface possibly?? Make station #2 for example use a postamble character to identify it as station #2. Just some ideas..let me see if I can find the info on that microscan handheld..it wasnt that expensive..I think $999 comes out at me but let me research it more..

Edit:
It was the MS-Q Basic Handheld Imager..
link to PDF of the manual...looks like it should do the job.
http://www.microscan.com/support/resources/manuals/msqmanual.pdf

Last edited:
I use MKS Instruments CDN066, or Western Reserve Controls 1782-JDC, or A-B's 1734-232ASC modules to get ASCII barcode strings onto DeviceNet.

I pretty much "wrote the book" on using the CDN066 with SLC DeviceNet scanners about 4 years ago. It's very easy to use multiple barcode scanners with individual ASCII/DNet interfaces because all of their data is in separate sections of the DeviceNet scanner's I/O table.

Trying to run these devices to Ethernet and then into a MicroLogix or SLC is going to be more expensive and almost certainly slower than using DeviceNet for this application.