DeviceNet on CompactLogix platform

LJBMatt

Well I've already called tech support and they were wishy washy at best to my question. I have a 1769-L32E processor with a 1769-SDN devicenet scanner. When scheduling the Deivcenet network can you plug into one of the processor ports and go across the backplane to schedule the netowrk (like ControlLogix platform) or do you have to use the PCMCIA DNet card and connect directly into the network to schedule it (like SLC platform). I hope someone out there has done this before.

If by schedule you mean configure, then the simple answer is yes. You should be able to drill down through the processor to the backplane and see the devicenet scanner and any connected devices in RSLinx. The path can also be configured in RSNetworx through either port.I have done this sucessfully with the 1769-L32E using both ethernet and RS232.

You don't need the PCMCIA card. The Ethernet port on the processor card will connect you to the backplane and then the DeviceNet card.

Thanks for the info. I finally got a response from AB that this can be done as long as the firmware of the 1769-SDN is at rev 2.2. One less thing that I have to deal with.

have to use the PCMCIA DNet card and connect directly into the network to schedule it (like SLC platform).

You can drill down on an SLC to configure the DNet as well. Granted it is slow but works fine.

I finally got a response from AB that this can be done as long as the firmware of the 1769-SDN is at rev 2.2

Last time I used a compact logix (a couple of years ago) it was not possible. Then the newer processors came out and it became possible.

What compact logix processor are you using?

What compact logix processor are you using?

1769-L32E processor, with ethernet and serial ports. (See first post above)

There is also a release note that says not to use RSLinx ver 2.42 with this processor as you cannot set up the ethernet port through the serial port, so I downloaded RSLinx ver 2.43. At least they published it with the firmware release.

All in all I really prefer the 5000 architecture to the 5/500 arch. and these processors have much more value per buck than the SLCs. Now if only they expand their card I/O capabilities.

You should be good with that processor.

Now if only they expand their card I/O capabilities.

Over the last couple of years they have really added a lot to the capabilities of this line. The other week our distributer told me they are coming out (came out?) with a control net card for the compact logix too.