Rslogix change Node

Derick123

I have a AB 504 processor that is on Node 1. Presently I am attempting messaging instructions between two processors. Both processors are Node 1. To get online I use Rslinx that auto configures to Device: PLC/Micro/panelview. I can get online with either processor but cannot see both with RsWHO that is because they are both addressed NODE 1. How do I change this? It is a simple thing but it is not in the SLC reference material I have. If you select Ch1 under Channel configuration tab and select a new Node address and messgae windows opens that asks to to apply the change however the Node does not change to a new number. Any advice would be appreciated.

Open the program for the 5/04 you are going to change OFFLINE. Change the node address in controller comms and in channel config. Save file. Disconnect the node you want to leave as 1 from the network. In RSLinx, verify you can now see the "other" node 1 SLC. On the RSLogix500 toolbar, select Comms > System Comms. Using you KT_1 driver, drill down until you see the remaining CPU on node 1 and highlight it. Click on download. When down load is complete, this CPU should now be at the new address and you can re-connect the other SLC.

I think you are misunderstanding what you are seeing in RSLinx, Derick.

The SLC-5/04 has two different communication ports. Because you are "messaging between two processors", you are very likely using Channel 1, which uses the Data Highway Plus protocol.

However, your description of using the RSLinx Autoconfigure tells me that you are actually connected to the SLC-5/04 via Channel 0, which by default uses DF1 Full Duplex protocol.

In DF1 Full Duplex protocol, the node numbers are always 0 and 1. When you change the DH+ node number in the Channel 1 tab, it does not change the DF1 Full Duplex node number, which is why you still "see" the SLC-5/04 controller to which you are connected in the RSWho window as Node 1.

You can "get onto" DH+ via the serial port of one of the controllers using DF1 Passthrough. Look it up in the Knowledgebase at Rockwell Automation and it will help you understand the node numbering and RSLinx configuration better.